GLIN==> Great Lakes coalition meeting: June 10-11 outside of Detroit

Please plan to attend a Great Lakes United coalition meeting, being held this weekend outside of Detroit Michigan- a must do if you plan on working on the review of the binational Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement!  This year’s keynote Gail Krantzberg, will be speaking on Saturday on the significance of the GLWQA. On Sunday we will be facilitating a coalition debate to develop a resolution guiding public participation in the GLWQA review.

Hope to see you there!

Great Lakes United’s 24th Annual General Meeting

June 9-11, 2006

Madonna University, Detroit, Michigan

“Time to Review”

Your opportunity to learn, participate, comment and be heard

on the Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement review

Keynote: Dr. Gail Krantzberg

Director of the Centre for Engineering and Public Policy at McMaster University

Former Director of the International Joint Commission Great Lakes Office

With presentations by:

Henry Regier, Professor Emeritus, University of Toronto

Andy Buchsbaum, National Wildlife Federation and the Healing Our Waters Coalition

Dave Dempsey, Author and Great Lakes Policy Advisor for Clean Water Action

Nick DeCarlo, Canadian Auto Workers…. and many more!

The GLWQA is a globally groundbreaking international agreement between the United States and Canada that advanced water quality protection after a series of Great Lakes catastrophes. It’s signing in 1972 and renewal in 1978 also marked times of incredible community activism. Now in 2006, 24 years later, we find ourselves at a moment of significant change again, the Great Lakes- St. Lawrence Region is changing politically, economically, culturally, and ecologically, and the GLWQA is being reviewed for possible renegotiation. How can this a renewed U.S.-Canada agreement help guide the region towards a restored Great Lakes ecosystem? Come and be part of the solution….. Registration information is attached.

Jennifer Nalbone

Campaign Director, Great Lakes United

(716) 213-0408; web: www.glu.org

Great Lakes United staff represented by UAW Local 55

GLWatch: providing top Great Lakes announcements each month. Send a blank email to: join-gluwatch@list.glu.org

AIS: information on aquatic invasive species in the Great Lakes. Send a blank email to: join-ais@list.glu.org

NAV: information on navigation in the Great Lakes. Send a blank email to: join-nav@list.glu.org