GLIN==> Dry Cargo Residue Discharges to the Great Lakes - July 6 meeting/July 31 comment deadline

[Federal Register: June 8, 2006 (Volume 71, Number 110)]
[Notices]
[Page 33312-33313]
 From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr08jn06-67]

DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
[USCG-2004-19621]
RIN 1625-AA89

Dry Cargo Residue Discharges in the Great Lakes

AGENCY: Coast Guard, DHS.
ACTION: Notice of public meeting; request for comments.

SUMMARY: The Coast Guard announces a public scoping meeting in support
of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) analysis for this
rulemaking, which concerns the regulation of dry cargo residues or
sweepings in the Great Lakes. We also announce the availability of a
sampling plan proposal that the Coast Guard may implement, in part or
in whole, as part of this NEPA analysis, and we request public comments
on that proposal.

DATES: The public scoping meeting will be held on July 6, 2006, from 1
p.m. to 5 p.m. Comments and related material must reach the Docket
Management Facility on or before July 31, 2006.

ADDRESSES: The public scoping meeting will be held at the Anthony J.
Celebreeze Federal Building, 31st floor auditorium, 1240 E 9th Street,
Cleveland, OH 44199, telephone (216) 902-6020; photo identification
required for entrance.
    In addition to submitting written statements or making verbal
comments at the public scoping meeting, you may submit comments
identified by Coast Guard docket number USCG-2004-19621 to the Docket
Management Facility at the U.S. Department of Transportation. To avoid
duplication, please use only one of the following methods:
    (1) Web Site: <A HREF="http://dms.dot.gov";>http://dms.dot.gov</A>.
    (2) Mail: Docket Management Facility, U.S. Department of
Transportation, 400 Seventh Street, SW., Washington, DC 20590-0001.
    (3) Fax: 202-493-2251.
    (4) Delivery: Room PL-401 on the Plaza level of the Nassif
Building, 400 Seventh Street, SW., Washington, DC, between 9 a.m. and 5
p.m., Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays. The telephone
number is 202-366-9329.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: For further information about this
rulemaking, contact Lieutenant Commander Mary Sohlberg, U.S. Coast
Guard, Environmental Standards Division, telephone: 202-372-1429, e-
mail: <A HREF="mailto:msohlberg@comdt.uscg.mil";>msohlberg@comdt.uscg.mil</A>. Information about the public scoping
meeting will be available at <A HREF="http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/mso/drycargo.htm.";>http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/mso/drycargo.htm.</A>
 If you need special arrangements to attend the public
scoping meeting, contact LTJG Regan Blomshield, U.S. Coast Guard
District Nine, telephone: 216-902-6050, e-mail: <A HREF="mailto:
rblomshield@d9.uscg.mil">
rblomshield@d9.uscg.mil</A>. If you have questions on viewing or submitting
material to the docket, call Renee V. Wright, Program Manager, Docket
Operations, telephone 202-493-0402.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:

Public Scoping Meeting

    The public scoping meeting will be held in a handicapped accessible
facility. Please note that you will be required to provide photo
identification to enter the facility. If you need special arrangements,
please use the contact information in FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT.
The meeting will start with an overview presentation, followed by a
formal public comment period. Following the formal public comment
period, we will hold an informal open house. At the open house, Coast
Guard personnel will be available to provide more information about the
NEPA and rulemaking processes, dry cargo residue discharges, and the
Coast Guard's proposed regulatory action, which we described in an
earlier notice (71 FR 12210, March 9, 2006). A court reporter will be
present during both the formal public comment period and the informal
open house, to record verbal comments from the public. The public will
also be able to submit written comments at any time during the meeting.
Verbal comments to the court reporter will be transcribed, and the
transcription will be placed in the public docket along with any
written statements that may be submitted during the meeting. These
comments and statements will be addressed by the Coast Guard as part of
the Environmental Impact Statement.

Request for Comments

    We published a notice on March 9, 2006 (71 FR 12210), requesting
public comments on any significant environmental issues related to the
Coast Guard's proposed regulatory action. The public comment period for
that notice remains open until July 31, 2006. In addition, we request
public comments on, or information relevant to, the proposed sampling
plan discussed below. All comments received will be posted, without
change, to <A HREF="http://dms.dot.gov";>http://dms.dot.gov</A> and will include any personal information
you have provided. We have an agreement with the Department of
Transportation (DOT) to use the Docket Management Facility. Please see
DOT's ``Privacy Act'' paragraph below.

[[Page 33313]]

    Submitting comments: If you submit a comment, please include your
name and address, identify the docket number for this notice (USCG-
2004-19621) and give the reason for each comment. You may submit your
comments by electronic means, mail, fax, or delivery to the Docket
Management Facility at the address under ADDRESSES; but please submit
your comments by only one means. If you submit them by mail or
delivery, submit them in an unbound format, no larger than 8\1/2\ by 11
inches, suitable for copying and electronic filing. If you submit them
by mail and would like to know that they reached the Facility, please
enclose a stamped, self-addressed postcard or envelope. We will
consider all comments received during the comment period.
    Viewing comments and documents: To view comments and documents, go
to <A HREF="http://dms.dot.gov";>http://dms.dot.gov</A> at any time, click on ``Simple Search,'' enter
the last five digits of the docket number for this rulemaking, and
click on ``Search.'' You may also visit the Docket Management Facility
in room PL-401 on the Plaza level of the Nassif Building, 400 Seventh
Street, SW., Washington, DC, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through
Friday, except Federal holidays.
    Privacy Act: Anyone can search the electronic form of all comments
received into any of our dockets by the name of the individual
submitting the comment (or signing the comment, if submitted on behalf
of an association, business, labor union, etc.). You may review the
Department of Transportation's Privacy Act Statement in the Federal
Register published on April 11, 2000 (65 FR 19477), or you may visit
<A HREF="http://dms.dot.gov";>http://dms.dot.gov</A>.

Background and Purpose

    On March 9, 2006, the Coast Guard published a notice of intent,
notice of availability, and request for comments (71 FR 12210),
announcing the start of the public scoping process that determines the
scope of issues to be addressed in the EIS and for identifying the
significant issues related to the proposed action. As promised in that
notice, today we are announcing where and when the public scoping
meeting will be held. We are also announcing the availability of a
sampling plan that environmental experts retained by the Coast Guard
have proposed. We are considering adopting this sampling plan in order
to analyze the impact of dry cargo residue discharges in the Great
Lakes. The proposed sampling plan is available for public review either
electronically or at the Docket Management Facility (see ADDRESSES and
Request for Comments).

    Dated: June 2, 2006.
Howard L. Hime,
Acting Director of Standards, Assistant Commandant for Prevention.
[FR Doc. E6-8882 Filed 6-7-06; 8:45 am]

BILLING CODE 4910-15-P

657 Spartan Ave,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com