GLIN==> Congressman John Dingell's Statement on Rapanos Decision

News From Congressman John D. Dingell
Serving Michigan's 15th Congressional District
http://www.house.gov/dingell/
Monday, June 19, 2006
Contact:
Adam Benson, 202.225.4071 (office) / 202.271.8587 (cell)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Dingell Statement on Supreme Court's Decision Regarding Clean Water Act

Washington, DC - Congressman John D. Dingell (D-MI15) made the following statement after the US Supreme Court's 5-4 decision in Rapanos v. US and Carabell v. US remanding the Clean Water case back to the lower courts. Congressman Dingell was one of the architects of the 1972 Clean Water Act and managed the time on the House floor when the bill was debated. He is also one of nine current or former Members of Congress who filed an amicus brief to support the Environmental Protection Agency's case to protect the Clean Water Act:

"I am frustrated and angry because of the Supreme Court's decision.  I called their work on Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County v
. US Army Corps of Engineers (SWANCC) slovenly because it ignored the will of Congress and the clear legislative history - which clearly intended for all waters of the US to be covered by the Clean Water Act.  Today the Court has gone one step further and shown its disdain for Congress, the body elected by the American people to represent their interests.  By remanding the case back to lower courts, the Court continues to bungle the clear intent of Congress.

"While 5 members of the Court rejected the most extreme mangling of the Act proposed by Justice Scalia and others that would eliminate all Clean Water Act protections for more than 50 percent of the nation's wetlands and streams, the fact that there was no clear majority upholding current Clean Water Act authorities as they now exist poses a threat to waters across the country.

"My colleagues and I will continue working on this issue from the legislative end.  HR 1356, which I introduced with my colleague Representative Jim Oberstar (D-MN), currently has 158 cosponsors and would make clear that Congress intended for all waters of the United States to be covered."

www.house.gov/dingell
Adam R. Benson
Press Secretary for Congressman John D. Dingell
202.225.0881 (desk)
202.271.8587 (cell)

Alex J. Sagady & Associates        http://www.sagady.com

Prospectus at:  http://www.sagady.com/sagady.pdf

657 Spartan Ave,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com