GLIN==> Fish Lake Erie License Plate Available

The new "Fish Lake Erie" license plate is now available and can be ordered from

http://www.oplates.com/

By clicking on "Specialty Plates" you will see a listing the available plates and can click on "Fish Lake Erie" to see the plate and continue your order.  I ordered mine over the weekend.

Please consider placing an order now or when you current plates expire (trailers and RVs can also be licensed).  As with all of the specialty plates, they cost an additional $25, and in this case, $15 of that will go to the Ohio Sea Grant College Program and Stone Laboratory to support our research, education and outreach efforts (including our work at Stone Laboratory on Gibraltar Island at Put-in-Bay) to protect and enhance the value of Lake Erie.  We also wish to use this plate to promote tourism along the north coast and sport fishing participation at the "Walleye Capital of the World."

Special thanks to the 100+ members of Sea Grant's private sector advisory committees and the Friends of Stone Laboratory for gathering signatures on our petitions, to the many wonderful supporters who signed the petitions, to Representative Chris Redfern for sponsoring legislation to get the process started, and to Jack Waldock, former chair of the Northwest Ohio Sea Grant Advisory Committee, for developing the idea of a license plate to support Lake Erie and Sea Grant's important work nine years ago.

Each year the Ohio Sea Grant College Program at The Ohio State University supports about 20 research projects on Lake Erie.  These projects have been supported at 15 different Ohio Colleges and Universities.  Ohio Sea Grant was reviewed in 2006 and ranked as one of the best Sea Grant Programs in the country (every coastal state, including the Great Lakes, has a Sea Grant Program).  Some of our research is conducted at Stone Laboratory on Gibraltar Island at Put-in-Bay.  Stone Lab, Ohio's Lake Erie Laboratory since 1895, is the oldest freshwater biological field station in the country and part of Ohio Sea Grant and The Ohio State University.  Each summer 25 college courses are taught at the Laboratory.  Since 1990, students in these courses have come from 97 different colleges and universities and 326 high schools (superior high school students are allowed to participate in the introductory courses and receive college credit while they are still in high school).  During the spring and the fall the Laboratory offers field trips, workshops and conferences for grades 4 through adults with about 6,000 participants annually.  Research goes on year-round.  In addition to supporting our research and outreach efforts, a portion of the proceeds from the sale of these plates will go to scholarships and fellowships  for students studying at the Laboratory.

Ohio Sea Grant supports eight extension agents along the shoreline from Toledo to Conneaut, and leads Lake Erie artificial reef efforts, the Clean Marina Program, the Clean Boater Program, the annual Lake Erie Charter Boat Conference, the Lake Erie Millennium Network, the Great Lakes Regional Research and Information Network, the establishment of underwater trailways, and much more.

Visit our web site for more information.

http://www.ohioseagrant.osu .edu/

Jeff

Jeffrey M. Reutter, Ph.D., Director
Ohio Sea Grant College Program,
F.T. Stone Laboratory,
Center for Lake Erie Area Research (CLEAR), and the
Great Lakes Aquatic Ecosystem Research Consortium (GLAERC)
The Ohio State University
Area 100 Research Center, 1314 Kinnear Rd., Columbus, Ohio 43212
tel (614)292-8949; fax (614)292-4364; email reutter.1@osu.edu
http://www.ohioseagrant.osu .edu/
"Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."   --Mark Twain
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."  --Will Rogers
"
Learn from the mistakes of others--you won't live long enough to make them all yourself."
"Being humble doesn't mean thinking less of yourself, it means thinking of yourself less."
"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you can."