GLIN==> MSU senior wins Ratza Memorial Scholarship

MSU senior wins Ratza Memorial Scholarship

http://www.glc.org/announce/06/07kpence.html

Karly Pence, a senior at Michigan State University with a double major in geography and journalism, is the recipient of the 2006 Carol A. Ratza Memorial Scholarship. Fluent in German, Pence holds a 3.83 GPA, is active in the Honors College and numerous student and volunteer organizations, and has completed internships in video production and multimedia web design. She hopes to pursue post-graduate education focusing on visual communication in environmental journalism. Pence's winning essay focused on the use of visual cues and new multi-media methods to attract web site visitors and engage them in Great Lakes issues.

"I have always had a deep appreciation for Michigan's natural resources and have pursued undergraduate research relating to the bottling of water from the state's aquifers, drilling under the Great Lakes, organic farming and community supported agriculture," Pence says. "Using my education on human and environmental interactions and ability to convey information with mass media, I hope to be a valuable asset to the protection of Michigan's environment."

The $1,000 award is in memory of Carol A. Ratza, who directed the Communications Program at the Great Lakes Commission from 1986-1997. Applications are currently being accepted for the 2007 scholarship; the application deadline is March 31, 2007. For details, see http://www.glc.org/about/scholarships/scholar.html

---

Christine Manninen

Program Manager

Communications & Internet Technology