GLIN==> WI Public Television & Biodiversity Project Team Up for Great Lakes Programming

Wisconsin Public Television and Biodiversity Project

Team Up for Great Lakes Programming In Wisconsin

MADISON, Wis. (September 12, 2006)  Are the Great Lakes ready for prime-time?  The Madison, Wisconsin-based Biodiversity Project and Wisconsin Public Television think so.  The two groups are teaming up for a special series of broadcasts about Wisconsin’s connection to the Great Lakes.  The broadcasts will appear as a regular series of segments on the 2006-2007 season of Wisconsin Public Television’s award-winning, weekly news magazine program In Wisconsin with Patty Loew.

“Our greatest challenge is letting people know that the lakes need our help now,” noted Jeffrey Potter, coordinator of Biodiversity Project’s Great Lakes Forever program, “that’s why we are so excited about this partnership.”  Great Lakes Forever is a three-year old public education program that includes educational signage in Wisconsin State Parks, radio and print awareness ads in Wisconsin and Chicago, educational beer coasters, and a Web site – www.greatlakesforever.org – where Wisconsinites can learn more about the lakes, threats to their health, and ways they can get personally involved.

“People in Wisconsin are proud of the Great Lakes and feel a strong personal responsibility to protect them,” Potter continued, “but the Lakes are so huge and have played such an important role in defining our region’s identity and history, that sometimes it’s hard to believe they’re vulnerable.”  As part of the project, Biodiversity Project will facilitate Wisconsin Public Television outreach needs for program research and production and develop a publicity campaign for the  broadcasts – including special “learn more about it” Great Lakes Forever Web pages, related media outreach, and program promotions to draw the largest audience possible.

“This was a natural partnership for us,” noted Christine Sloan-Miller, In Wisconsin Series Producer.  “In Wisconsin spotlights intriguing stories about people, places and issues that are distinctly Wisconsin,” Bissen continued.  “The Great Lakes are a global treasure, right in our backyard.  They are so important to our quality of life, we hope these broadcasts will cause people to reconsider their relationship with the lakes,” she concluded. The program segments, which are funded in part by a grant from the Wisconsin Coastal Management Program, will focus on Wisconsin’s historical, cultural, economic and environmental relationship with the world’s largest freshwater lakes.

According to Potter, the broadcasts will also help demystify some complicated Great Lakes issues. “Pollution is closing our beaches and contaminating our fish,” Potter said. “Invasive species and irresponsible development are threatening the survival of our native wildlife. And private interests are pushing to actually buy and sell Great Lakes water for a profit.  These are scary issues, but there are solutions.  These In Wisconsin broadcasts will profile Wisconsinites who are working every day to make a difference for the lakes and their communities,” he concluded.

In Wisconsin airs on Thursday nights at 7:00 pm on most Wisconsin public television stations.  This week’s episode includes a segment on the Apostle Islands Management Plan, Wisconsin’s only National Park. Find out what special concerns and problems the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore faces in the future and how the citizens of Wisconsin can play a role.

To learn more about how you can help protect the Great Lakes, visit the Great Lakes Forever website – www.greatlakesforever.org.

###

Great Lakes Forever is a program of Biodiversity Project. Biodiversity Project advocates for biodiversity by designing and implementing innovative communication strategies that build and motivate a broad constituency to protect the environmental resources that support biological diversity and life itself. A national organization based in Madison, Wisconsin, the Biodiversity Project has worked with leaders in policy, advocacy, education, science, religious and grantmaking fields since 1995. For more information, visit www.biodiversityproject.org and www.greatlakesforever.org.

Wisconsin Public Television is a service of the Educational Communications Board and the University of Wisconsin- Extension.  Wisconsin Public Television is a place to grow through learning on WHA-TV/DT, Madison; WPNE-TV/DT, Green Bay; WHRM-TV/DT, Wausau; WLEF-TV/DT, Park Falls; WHLA- TV/DT, LaCrosse; and  WHWC-TV/DT, Menomonie-Eau Claire.

Jeffrey Potter

Director of Communications Programs

Biodiversity Project

214 N. Henry St. #201