GLIN==> call for presentations: Riverine Wetlands, 12th annual Wetland Science Forum

CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS

Riverine Wetlands: Connections, Corridors and Catchments

12th Annual Wetland Science Forum, February 1-2, 2007, La Crosse, WI

Conference website: www.wiscwetlands.org/2007forum.htm

Abstract Deadline: Wednesday, November 1, 2006

Wisconsin’s water-rich landscapes are drained by more than 32,000 miles of perennial streams and rivers. Hundreds of thousands of acres of diverse wetland habitats are associated with these treasured waterways, which range from tiny headwaters to large rivers like the wonderful Wisconsin and mighty Mississippi.  Riverine wetlands are created and maintained by the flows and floods of adjacent watercourses, and these wetland habitats in turn provide critical water quality, water quantity and habitat functions that support the health of stream and river ecosystems.  Protection of the many connections and interactions between rivers and their wetlands is vital to watershed health and will require collaboration among researchers, agency staff, private professionals and conservationists. Toward this end, Wisconsin Wetlands Association will convene members of the wetland community of Wisconsin and the Great Lakes region to discuss a variety of issues related to riverine wetlands at our conference Riverine Wetlands: Connections, Corridors and Catchments.

What do we mean by the term “riverine wetlands”?  While most wetland classification systems focus on wetland plant community types, the term “riverine” refers instead to a wetland’s position within a watershed system and includes many plant community types such as marshes, swamps, and sedge meadows. Riverine wetlands are all wetland habitats found within river channels (e.g. islands and beaver ponds), along the shorelines of rivers and streams, and in floodplains of rivers and streams. Riverine wetlands are those most strongly connected to and influenced by the flow of rivers and streams.  Read a recent WWA newsletter article on riverine wetlands, Rivers Make Wetlands, And Wetlands Make a River, online at: www.wiscwetlands.org/riverinewetlands.htm.

Wisconsin Wetlands Association invites you to submit an abstract for presentation at our 12th annual Wetland Science Forum.  We seek presentations on riverine wetlands research, restoration and management projects – see a list of riverine wetlands sub-topics below that we are particularly interested in including in the conference program.  The conference program will begin with an overview of riverine wetland ecology followed by a keynote address, several topical oral sessions, a poster session, working groups and field trips, all related to the conference theme.

We especially encourage submissions on these topics related to the Riverine Wetlands theme:

  • Ecosystem services and functional roles of riverine wetlands in a watershed context (including economic assessments of riverine wetland services and functions)
  • Wetlands of the Upper Mississippi River
  • Freshwater estuaries: where great rivers meet the Great Lakes
  • Importance of headwater riparian wetlands
  • Biodiversity of riverine wetlands
  • Importance of riverine wetlands to waterfowl and wildlife
  • Invasive species in riverine wetlands: impacts and management
  • Influence of riverine wetlands on flooding and influence of flooding on riverine wetlands
  • Effects of dams and dam removal on riverine wetlands
  • Effects of watershed land use alterations on riverine wetlands
  • Effects of shoreline development on riverine wetlands
  • Restoration and management of riverine wetlands
  • Science-based efforts by citizen groups to monitor, restore or protect riverine wetlands

We welcome presentations…

·        on the full range of riverine scales (headwater wetlands to large river wetlands)

·        on all riverine wetland communities types (marshes to swamps)

·        that provide a watershed/catchment perspective on riverine wetlands

·        from around the Great Lakes region, as long as the content of the presentation applies to wetlands of Wisconsin.

We have a limited amount of space for poster presentations.  We encourage authors to give oral presentations, but we offer a poster session option for authors who would prefer to share their work in this format.  While we are focusing on riverine wetlands for this conference, we do not want to exclude cutting edge wetland projects that are not riverine focused.  If you would like to present non-riverine wetlands work that you feel would be of great interest to the wetland professional community, please contact Laura England to discuss your proposal (608-250-9971, programs@wiscwetlands.org).

Instructions for Submitting Abstracts

Abstract Submission Forms available online at: www.wiscwetlands.org/2007CFP.htm

The deadline for submitting abstracts is Wednesday, November 1, 2006.  To have your wetlands work considered for inclusion in this conference, please complete an Abstract Submission Form with a title, short abstract (limit 250 words), and A/V requirements.  Electronic copies of abstracts are required – submit your abstract by emailing it to programs@wiscwetlands.org. Presenters will be notified of acceptance by December 1, 2006.

Note: We ask that presenters register and pay registration fees in order to help cover conference costs.   We encourage presenters to register by December 15, 2006 in order to receive the early registration rate.  Registration information will be available online at www.wiscwetlands.org/2007forum.htm.

For more information, contact Laura England, Outreach Programs Director at 608-250-9971 or programs@wiscwetlands.org.

Laura England

Outreach Programs Director

Wisconsin Wetlands Association