GLIN==> Great Lakes News: Between Editions, October 2006

October 2006

GLU Launches New E-Services

Public Placed in Dangerous Binational Crossfire

An Unsettling Settlement

GLU Hosts Workshop at State of the Lakes

Water Quality Review: on track, but problematic

Getting Heard in Great Lakes News

Support Great Lakes United

GLU Home

About Us

Join Us

line

GLU Launches New E-Services

Welcome to a new service by Great Lakes United! Between Editions is a monthly e-bulletin that replaces the old GLU-Watch list. In addition to our aquatic invasive species and navigation lists, we will also offer new e-mail lists on clean production, water diversion.

Click to learn more about GLU's enhanced e-services...

Public Placed in Dangerous Binational Crossfire

The US Coast Guard’s proposal to conduct live fire training on the Great Lakes to the surprise of the Canadian government and citizens of the US and Canada underlines the need for stronger binational cooperation and communication.  This time, however, mistakes could mean injury or death to a public caught in the crossfire.

Click to learn more about the US Coast Guard proposal...

An Unsettling Settlement

In June New York State announced that Occidental Corporation would pay $12 million for damages to natural resources.  Though the importance of this deal cannot be underestimated in terms of engaging in clean-up actions now, the deal also includes a clause that would release Occidental Chemical from liability for its current and past operations on the Niagara River, Lake Ontario and St. Lawrence River

Is this a deal with a short term gain in exchange for a dangerous long-term risk?  What if the containment measures fail?   Who will be held responsible if some of the most frightening dumpsites on the planet spring a leak?

Click to learn more about this deal and the Great Lakes' toxic legacy...

GLU Hosts Workshop at State of the Lakes

Great Lakes United is excited to be sponsoring a green chemistry workshop at the upcoming State of the Lakes Ecosystem Conference (SOLEC). Green chemistry is a new approach to chemical design and is poised to reconfigure how industrial chemical production in the Great Lakes Basin.

Click to learn more about the green chemistry workshop...

Water Quality Review: On Track, but Problematic

The GLU GreenBook for restoring the Great Lakes was an agenda ahead of its time.  Citizen’s from across the Great Lakes basin are now calling for federal support to restore the Great Lakes and the Saint Lawrence watersheds.

Click to learn more about the status of the GLWQA Review...

Getting Heard in Great Lakes News

There are several ways for members and non-members of Great Lakes United to have their voices heard in Great Lakes News.

Click to learn more about getting your message out through Great Lakes News...

Support Great Lakes United

Great Lakes United is approaching its twenty-fifth anniversary.  Since our founding we have worked tirelessly and successfully with governments, industry, unions, citizens, First Nations and Tribes to better protect and restore the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River.  Our success is only possible with the generous support and commitment of our members; we are a strong because our members have made us so.  Great Lakes United is a testament to the value of cooperation between a diverse and committed coalition of groups and individuals that cut across social, political and economic divides.

Join Great Lakes United and let us bring together our voices under a common vision.  Click here to explore the value of membership and the options available.

Click to learn more about how to join Great Lakes United...