Speaker: Dr. Stuart Ludsin, NOAA Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory

Date: Wednesday November 1

Time: 1030 AM

Location: NOAA/ GLERL
2205 Commonwealth Blvd., Ann Arbor, MI, 48105
Abstract
Seasonal hypoxia (<2 mg O2/L) is a common feature of many coastal systems throughout the world. In turn, because all metazoans require oxygen to survive, reduced oxygen availability would be expected to have a large impact on aquatic organisms and their interactions. Although numerous investigations have demonstrated both direct and indirect effects of bottom hypoxia on benthic organisms, our understanding of how hypoxia influences pelagic organisms remains largely enigmatic. During the past decade, I (and my colleagues) have been exploring the potential ecological effects of bottom hypoxia in three coastal systems, Chesapeake Bay (1995-2000), the Northern Gulf of Mexico (2003-2006), and Lake Erie (2005), using sophisticated instrumentation (fish acoustics towed in parallel with a sensor package consisting of an optical plankton counter, fluorometer, oxygen sensor, PAR sensor, and CTD) that can provide high-resolution maps of how pelagic organisms and their habitat are distributed throughout the water column across large spatial scales. Herein, I present findings from these investigations, highlighting generalities among systems. Most notably, I demonstrate how oxygen availability can influence the horizontal distribution of both pelagic zooplankton and fish, and as well as how hypoxia can disrupt normal vertical migration behaviors. I also demonstrate through both statistical and spatially-explicit modeling approaches how hypoxia can potentially negatively impact pelagic fishes by indirectly mediating habitat suitability (i.e., preferred food and temperature resources).
If you are interested in going out for lunch with Dr. Ludsin after his talk, please let me know by Monday, October 31.

If you have any questions or concerns, please email me at kanika.suri@noaa.gov; or call 734-741-2147.

For more information about the seminar series, please visit our website at http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/news/seminars/

--

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Kanika Suri
Web Designer Associate

NOAA Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory
2205 Commonwealth Blvd.,
Ann Arbor, MI
48105

Tel: (734) 741-2147