GLIN==> 10 days left to submit abstracts for Riverine Wetlands, 12th Wetland Science Forum

CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS: Riverine Wetlands: Connections, Corridors and
Catchments

12th Annual Wetland Science Forum, February 1-2, 2007, La Crosse, WI

Abstract Deadline: Wednesday, November 1, 2006

Abstract submission forms available online at:
www.wiscwetlands.org/2007CFP.htm

Note: presenters will receive a $15 registration discount (the equivalent of
one lunch)

Wisconsin Wetlands Association invites you to submit an abstract for
presentation at our 12th annual Wetland Science Forum, Riverine Wetlands:
Connections, Corridors and Catchments.  Hundreds of thousands of acres of
diverse wetland habitats are associated with the states' 32,000 miles of
perennial streams and rivers, which range from tiny headwaters to large
rivers like the wonderful Wisconsin and mighty Mississippi.  Riverine
wetlands are created and maintained by the flows and floods of adjacent
watercourses, and these wetland habitats in turn provide critical water
quality, water quantity and habitat functions that support the health of
stream and river ecosystems.  Protection of the many connections and
interactions between rivers and their wetlands is vital to watershed health
and will require collaboration among researchers, agency staff, private
professionals and conservationists. Toward this end, Wisconsin Wetlands
Association will convene members of the wetland community of Wisconsin and
the Great Lakes region to discuss a variety of issues related to riverine
wetlands.  We seek presentations on riverine wetlands research, restoration
and management projects - see a list of riverine wetlands sub-topics below
that we are particularly interested in including in the conference program.
The conference program will begin with an overview of riverine wetland
ecology followed by a keynote address, several topical oral sessions, a
poster session, working groups and field trips, all related to the
conference theme.

More details, including information on registration fees, key speakers,
accommodations, and exhibits are available online at:
www.wiscwetlands.org/2007forum.htm.

We especially encourage submissions on these topics related to the Riverine
Wetlands theme:

*	Ecosystem services and functional roles of riverine wetlands in a
watershed context (including economic assessments of riverine wetland
services and functions)
*	Wetlands of the Upper Mississippi River
*	Freshwater estuaries: where great rivers meet the Great Lakes
*	Importance of headwater riparian wetlands
*	Biodiversity of riverine wetlands
*	Importance of riverine wetlands to waterfowl and wildlife
*	Invasive species in riverine wetlands: impacts and management
*	Influence of riverine wetlands on flooding and influence of flooding
on riverine wetlands
*	Effects of dams and dam removal on riverine wetlands
*	Effects of watershed land use alterations on riverine wetlands
*	Effects of shoreline development on riverine wetlands
*	Restoration and management of riverine wetlands
*	Science-based efforts by citizen groups to monitor, restore or
protect riverine wetlands

We welcome presentations...

*        on the full range of riverine scales (headwater wetlands to large
river wetlands)

*        on all riverine wetland communities types (marshes to swamps)

*        that provide a watershed/catchment perspective on riverine wetlands

*        from around the Great Lakes region, as long as the content of the
presentation applies to wetlands of Wisconsin.

We have a limited amount of space for poster presentations.  We encourage
authors to give oral presentations, but we offer a poster session option for
authors who would prefer to share their work in this format.  While we are
focusing on riverine wetlands for this conference, we do not want to exclude
cutting edge wetland projects that are not riverine focused.  If you would
like to present non-riverine wetlands work that you feel would be of great
interest to the wetland professional community, please contact Laura England
to discuss your proposal (608-250-9971, programs@wiscwetlands.org).

We also have a limited amount of scholarship funds (for registration and
travel) to support student participation in the conference. To be considered
for a scholarship, please complete a scholarship
<http://www.wiscwetlands.org/2007scholarshipform.doc>  application form and
email it to programs@wiscwetlands.org by Friday, December 8, 2006.
Scholarship recipients will be notified by Tuesday, December 12, 2006.

Instructions for Submitting Abstracts

Abstract Submission Forms available online at:
www.wiscwetlands.org/2007CFP.htm

The deadline for submitting abstracts is Wednesday, November 1, 2006.  To
have your wetlands work considered for inclusion in this conference, please
complete an Abstract Submission Form with a title, short abstract (limit 250
words), and A/V requirements.  Electronic copies of abstracts are required -
submit your abstract by emailing it to programs@wiscwetlands.org. Presenters
will be notified of acceptance by December 1, 2006.

Note: Presenters will receive a $15 registration discount (equivalent of one
lunch).  We ask that presenters register and pay discounted registration
fees in order to help cover conference costs.   We encourage presenters to
register by December 15, 2006 in order to receive the early registration
rate.  Registration information will be available online by Oct. 31 at
www.wiscwetlands.org/2007forum.htm.

Laura England

Outreach Programs Director

Wisconsin Wetlands Association

222 S. Hamilton St. #1

Madison, WI 53703

phone: 608-250-9971

fax: 608-287-1179

laura@wiscwetlands.org

www.wiscwetlands.org

Stay up to date on wetland issues, events and programs - subscribe to our
Wetland Email Network today at www.wiscwetlands.org/alerts.htm