GLIN==> Media Advisory - Sen. Levin; Congressmen Dingell, Conyers: Detroit River Restoration

Submitted by Sandra Morrison <smorrison@usgs.gov>

---

Media Advisory

Heritage Fish Returns to Detroit River

Editors: A map to the site is posted on: www.waynecounty.com/parks/elizabeth_pk.htm; click on ?map of

Elizabeth Park? and ?layout of park?

Who: Senator Carl Levin, Congressman John Dingell, Congressman John Conyers, Wayne

County Executive Robert Ficano and other Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge and

Huron-Erie Corridor partners

What: Join us as we return to the Detroit River lake whitefish raised at the USGS Great Lakes

Science Center in Ann Arbor, MI to celebrate the River?s ecological recovery.

Topic: Last fall, scientists documented the presence of spawning lake whitefish and eggs in the

Detroit River for the first time since 1916. A small number of these young whitefish will be

released into the Detroit River to celebrate the water quality improvements that have resulted

from nearly 40 years of pollution prevention and control, conservation, and scientific research by

the U.S. and Canada. The lake whitefish is a key indicator of ecosystem health and its return to

the Detroit River provides further evidence of progress in the ecological recovery of the River.

We hope this symbolic event will also raise awareness of our commitment to re-establish this

heritage fishery in the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge.

Where: Wayne County?s Elizabeth Park Amphitheatre (just north of the Shelter Building)

Trenton, Michigan

When: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 11:00 a.m.

The USGS serves the nation by providing reliable scientific information to describe and

understand the Earth; minimize loss of life and property from natural disasters; manage water,

biological, energy, and mineral resources; and enhance and protect our quality of life.

The mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is to work with others to conserve, protect,

and enhance fish, wildlife, and plants, and their habitats, for the continuing benefit of the

American people.