GLIN==> Friday is early bird registration deadline for Riverine Wetlands Science Forum, Feb. 1-2 in La Crosse

Register by this Friday, December 15th, to take advantage of early bird registration rates (save $20)!

Note: Program details (session schedule, presentation titles and speakers) are now posted online at: www.wiscwetlands.org/2007program.htm

Riverine Wetlands: Connections, Corridors & Catchments

WWA’s 12th Annual Wetland Science Forum, February 1-2, 2007, Radisson Hotel La Crosse, WI

Conference webpage: www.wiscwetlands.org/2007forum.htm

CONFERENCE PURPOSE & THEME

Wisconsin’s water-rich landscapes are drained by more than 32,000 miles of perennial streams and rivers. Hundreds of thousands of acres of diverse wetland habitats are associated with these treasured waterways, which range from tiny headwaters to large rivers. Riverine wetlands are created and maintained by the flows and floods of adjacent watercourses, and wetland habitats in turn provide critical water quality, water quantity and habitat functions that support the health of streams and rivers.  Protection of the many connections and interactions between rivers and their wetlands is vital to watershed health and will require collaboration among wetland-focused researchers, agency staff, private professionals and conservationists. Toward this end, Wisconsin Wetlands Association will convene members of the wetland community of Wisconsin and the Great Lakes region to discuss a variety of issues related to riverine wetlands – see program agenda and highlights below. Join us and contribute to a growing collaboration for protecting and conserving wetlands in Wisconsin and the region.

REGISTRATION: Early Bird Deadline – Friday, December 15, 2006

Registration fees, instructions and forms: www.wiscwetlands.org/2007registration.htm

Registration fees reflect the costs to provide this conference and include access to all conference sessions and field trips; printed conference program with abstracts; lunch on both days as well as coffee and refreshments throughout; and a canvas tote bag featuring our new riverine wetlands logo.

GENERAL SCHEDULE

Thursday, February 1

 8:00                Registration opens

 9:00 -12:00     Plenary Session: Theme Overview & Keynote Address (details below)

1:00 – 5:00        Concurrent Oral Sessions (topics below)

6:30 – 9:00        Banquet Dinner & Presentation (details below) and conclusion of Silent Auction

Friday, February 2 (World Wetlands Day)

8:30 – 12:30     Concurrent Oral Sessions (topics below)

1:30 – 4:30       Field Trips: La Crosse River Marsh and Goose Island & Upper Halfway Creek Marsh Restoration Project

1:30 – 4:30        Working Group: Wetland Threats Analysis Results

SESSION TOPICS

>> Ecosystem Services of Floodplains and Backwaters

>> Restoration of Riverine Wetlands: Mitigation and Other Case Studies

>> Biodiversity of Riverine Wetlands: Habitat, Monitoring & Management (Part 1 & 2)

>> Hydrologic and Geomorphic Perspectives on Riverine Wetlands

>> Restoration of Riverine Wetlands: Project Design and Evaluation

>> Using Science, Statute and Savvy to Protect Wisconsin’s Wetlands: A Regulatory Primer for Wetland Professionals

>> Special Session: Wetlands of the Upper Mississippi River Corridor (Part 1 & 2)

>> Restoration and Management of Riverine Wetlands: Watershed and Statewide Approaches

>> Public Protection of Riverine Wetlands: Citizen and Agency Led Efforts

>> Invasive Species Monitoring & Management

>> Poster Session

PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS

Program details (schedule with presentation titles and speaker names) are now posted online at: www.wiscwetlands.org/2007program.htm

KEYNOTE ADDRESS – A River That Works and a Working River

Dan McGuiness, Director of Audubon’s Upper Mississippi River Campaign, will talk about how the Upper Mississippi River, including its wetlands and watershed, has changed since human settlement. Dan will discuss how we can reverse the tide of degradation of Upper Mississippi River wetlands and wildlife habitat through partnership efforts in conservation. He will also talk about the emerging 34-member collaborative of non-profit organizations working from the Upper Mississippi headwaters to the Gulf of Mexico and how the wetland community in the region can become more engaged in this effort.

BANQUET PRESENTATION – Resurrection of the Bayou People: Wetlands, Hurricanes and Restoration

Kerry St. Pé is Executive Director of the Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary Program, a nationally recognized effort dedicated to preserving and restoring the 4.2 million-acre area between the Mississippi and Atchafalaya Rivers in Southeast Louisiana.  Kerry will discuss the post-hurricanes status of Louisiana’s coastal wetlands and emerging plans for coastal wetland restoration efforts. He will also highlight the importance of Louisiana’s coastal wetlands from ecological, economic and cultural heritage perspectives and comment on what can be done in the Upper Mississippi River Basin to contribute to improvements in the long-term health of wetlands of the Mississippi River delta.  This ticketed event is open both to conference participants ($30) and the general public ($35). Dinner entree choices include Wild Mushroom Ravioli (vegetarian) topped with alfredo sauce and drizzled with roasted red pepper coulis as well as Stuffed Breast of Chicken, with spinach stuffing and a Veloute sauce (a cream based sauce with white wine and shallots). Purchase a banquet ticket with your conference registration or by calling WWA at 608-250-9971.

FIELD TRIP – La Crosse River Marsh and Goose Island, Leaders: Tim Gerber and Chuck Lee, UW-La Crosse; Kurt Brownell and Jon Sobiech, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers; and WDNR staff. Explore two river sites with varied wetland habitats. Just north of town, the La Crosse River is flanked by an expansive marshy floodplain upstream of its confluence with the Mississippi River. Because of its proximity to the expanding urban area, this dynamic river-wetland system has been the subject of development controversies over the years. Learn about the natural and recent cultural history of the La Crosse River Marsh at Myrick ParkGoose Island is a swampy island in the middle of the Mississippi just south of town. Part of the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge, the island has swamp-white oak forests and many backwater wetland habitats because of the complexity of its shoreline. Discover the beauty and ecology of these wetlands in winter while gathering ideas for a summer outing!

FIELD TRIP – Upper Halfway Creek Marsh Restoration Project, Leaders: Jim Nissen, USFWS; Jim Knox, UW-Madison; Faith Fitzpatrick and Bill Richardson, USGS; and Joe Schubauer-Berigan, USEPA. Visit this innovative watershed restoration project that was developed and implemented with the involvement of a large team of partner organizations.  Halfway Creek, a tributary to the Upper Mississippi River north of La Crosse, drains a small watershed where agricultural land use and expanding residential and commercial development have led to flooding and sedimentation problems in lower parts of the watershed.  This watershed initiative involves restoration/enhancement/creation and management of more than 150 acres of wetland and grassland to address these problems and create habitat for wildlife.  Learn about project goals, restoration design, and research projects aimed at assessing the success of this restoration project.

CALL FOR SPONSORSHIPS

Wisconsin Wetlands Association thanks our current sponsors (www.wiscwetlands.org/2007sponsors.htm) and invites your organization to become a sponsor of our 2007 Wetland Science Forum. This conference is WWA’s largest annual event and is an excellent opportunity for sponsor visibility. We are seeking institutional, corporate, and individual sponsorship for this event. Demonstrate your commitment to the wetlands of Wisconsin and to the Wisconsin Wetlands Association by sponsoring Riverine Wetlands: Connections, Corridors and Catchments, at the level that is right for your organization. Sponsorships range from $100 to $2,500; see descriptions of sponsorship levels and benefits here: www.wiscwetlands.org/sponsorlevels.doc.  To sponsor this event, simply complete a sponsorship form (www.wiscwetlands.org/sponsorform.doc) and return it to WWA along with your check/credit card payment.

SILENT AUCTION DONATIONS

We also welcome donations of goods or services for our silent auction, which will be held at the Wetland Science Forum. The auction is another opportunity for sponsors to be visible at our conference. Funds raised will support our wetland protection efforts across the state of Wisconsin in the coming year. To make an auction donation, complete and return an auction donation form (www.wiscwetlands.org/auctionform.doc).  We would like to receive all donated items by January 10th, 2007.

If you have questions about this conference, please contact:

Laura England

Outreach Programs Director

Wisconsin Wetlands Association

222 S. Hamilton St. #1