GLIN==> Happy Holidays! Coast Guard withdraws live-fire proposal

On Monday, December 18th, the U.S. Coast Guard announced its decision to withdraw the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking to establish 34 safety zones for live-fire training on the Great Lakes.  The decision follows internal review, meetings with community leaders, nine well attended public meetings, and hundreds of written comments from the public and their elected representatives.

The Great Lakes United coalition applauds the response of the U.S. Coast Guard, under the leadership of Rear Admiral Crowley, to withdraw the proposal for live-fire training on the Great Lakes. We thank the Coast Guard for recognizing that the proposal was unsatisfactory, as well as thank the extensive number of concerned citizens, political leaders, and recreational, conservation and environmental groups that participated in this important public discussion. The Great Lakes United coalition anticipates participating in future transparent, binational discussions as the Coast Guard examines how to address training and security issues in an environmentally and socially responsible manner.

Coast Guard Withdraws Great Lakes Live-fire Proposal Press Release:  www.uscgd9safetyzones.com/go/doc/1295/139963/

Associated Press Article: http://www.enn.com/today.html?id=11882

Jennifer Nalbone

Campaign Director, Great Lakes United

(716) 213-0408; web: www.glu.org

Great Lakes United staff represented by UAW Local 55

GLWatch: providing top Great Lakes announcements each month. Send a blank email to: join-gluwatch@list.glu.org

AIS: information on aquatic invasive species in the Great Lakes. Send a blank email to: join-ais@list.glu.org

NAV: information on navigation in the Great Lakes. Send a blank email to: join-nav@list.glu.org

Celebrating 25 years of Great Lakes Protection

Join us in Toronto June 15-17 for our 25th Annual General Meeting!

For more information visit http://www.glu.org/25years