GLIN==> Voinovich becomes new Great Lakes Task Force Co-Chair

Voinovich to Co-Chair Senate Great Lakes Task Force

Senator George V. Voinovich (R-OH) has become co-chair of the Senate Great Lakes Task Force.  The bipartisan group, part of the Northeast-Midwest Senate Coalition, seeks to protect the environmental and economic health of the Great Lakes region.

“Protecting and restoring the Great Lakes has been a top priority for me throughout my political career,” Sen. Voinovich said. “I look forward to working with Senator Carl Levin and the Great Lakes delegation in advancing the restoration effort in this critical region. Working in a bipartisan effort, we can achieve this goal and protect the Great Lakes for generations to come.”

Senator Voinovich has been committed to improving and restoring the Great Lakes for most of his 37 year career in public service.  His recent efforts have focused on completing the electric dispersal barrier in the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal, ensuring the establishment of a Great Lakes restoration strategy, and solving Lake Erie’s “dead zone.”

 The Senate and House Great Lakes Task Forces were formed in the mid-1980s by members of the Northeast-Midwest Senate and Congressional Coalitions to work in a bipartisan, bicameral fashion to protect and enhance the region's unique natural resources and economy.  The Democratic co-chair of the Senate Great Lakes Task Force is Senator Carl Levin (D-MI), who took over that position from in January 1999.  Leaders of the House Great Lakes Task Force are Reps. John Dingell (D-MI), Vernon Ehlers (R-MI), Mark Kirk (R-IL), and Louise Slaughter (D-NY).

“I look forward to working closely with Senator Voinovich on a range of Great Lakes issues," said Senator Levin.  "Solid bipartisan cooperation is key in working to protect and preserve the lakes."

Joy Mulinex

Great Lakes Task Force Director

Senators Carl Levin (D-MI) & George V. Voinovich (R-OH)

Northeast-Midwest Institute

(202) 224-1211