GLIN==> News Release: Amity Creek Charrette

                               MN SEA GRANT
                               NEWS RELEASE
4/4/2007
Contact: Tari Rayala, AIA (218) 59-6892, tari_rayala@charter.net

Comments Sought Regarding the Future of Amity Creek

On April 13 and 14 the public is encouraged to help refine plans that will affect the future of Amity Creek, one of Duluth's trout streams. The Northern Minnesota component of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) and Minnesota Sea Grant are leading a community planning session involving architects, community planners, developers, water quality experts, and interested citizens. Known as a charrette, this session relies on intense periods of design work punctuated by public forums to create and support a plan for developing and conserving the upper reaches of the Amity Creek watershed.

The following charrette events are free and open to the public. They will take place on the third floor of the Fitger's Building on Superior Street in Duluth.

SCHEDULE
Friday, April 13
4 to 7 p.m. Open house: three alternative plans available for review
and comment
7 to 9 p.m. Presentation: experts explain the rationale behind the plans
and critically examine them with audience participation

Saturday, April 14
10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Visitation: experts revise plans based on public
comment
5 to 7 p.m. Reception: informal discussions and award ceremony
7 p.m. Presentation: experts explain the outcome of the charrette

"We have two goals," said Tari Rayala, Northern Minnesota AIA representative and architect with Architectural Resources Incorporated. ?We want people to understand how charrettes can be effective in community planning, and we want to create a product that will help the community direct the development and protection of the upper Amity Creek corridor."

The upper Amity Creek area includes a stream on the state's list for impaired waters, large tracts of undeveloped land and tax forfeited land, and diverse terrain such as wetlands and steep slopes.

The charrette events mark the forth and final installment of "Re-establishing Connections to Our Waterways," a series organized by the AIA and supported by Sea Grant to engage the public in community planning. Community members, investors, and water quality experts gave talks about the past, present, and future of Lake Superior streams.

###