GLIN==> Illinois House of Representatives Passes Landmark Great Lakes Compact

Submitted by Katie McClain <Katie.McClain@Illinois.gov>
---

Illinois House of Representatives Passes Landmark Great Lakes Compact

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - The Illinois House of Representatives took the first step on Thursday, March 29 to ratify an interstate compact that will provide unprecedented protection for the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence River Basin.

The Illinois House voted unanimously to pass HB 0375, which creates the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence River Basin Water Resources Compact Act and authorizes the Governor to join the compact. The compact serves as an agreement between the states of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin and details how the states and the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec will work together to protect the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence River Basin.

"It's very important that we all work together to improve and protect our greatest natural treasures," Lt. Governor Pat Quinn said. "The Great Lakes Interstate Compact encourages the necessary teamwork that allows us to share our ideas and develop creative solutions to protect the health and economy of the Great Lakes region."

To become law the compact must be approved by each of the state legislatures and Congress must give its consent. Illinois is positioned to be the second state to pass the compact as it now moves to the Illinois Senate for approval. Minnesota's Governor Tim Pawlenty formally ratified the compact on February 20.