GLIN==> new book "Cold, Clear and Deadly" addresses toxic transport

NEWS RELEASE

CONTACT: Julie Reaume, Sales & Marketing Manager, Michigan State University Press, 517/355-9543, ext. 109 or reaumej@msu.edu.

Contact author Mel Visser at vissermel@hotmail.com.

New book uncovers why northern waters remain contaminated

While social and economic globalization continues apace, globalization of environmental responsibility lags far behind. Developed countries have long recognized the health and environmental hazards of persistent pesticides and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), and banned them in the 1970s and 1980s ? but the developing world has not. Because of large scale global use, these materials continue to settle into northern waters, far from where they are released.
What is the effect?

? PCB concentrations in Lake Superior are stagnant and toxaphene levels ? the pesticide that replaced DDT ? have increased since toxaphene was banned in the U.S. and Canada.
? Eagles nesting on the shores of the Great Lakes hatch deformed chicks or do not reproduce at all. Native trout do not reproduce naturally. We are advised to limit fish consumption.
? In the Arctic, killer whales, polar bear, birds of prey and the indigenous Inuit are seriously affected by PCBs and pesticides.

Are these stories related? In Mel Visser?s Cold, Clear and Deadly, we find out they are really one story ? a story that Visser tells with reasoned passion. Avoiding the dogmatic points of view sometimes brought from both the left and the right of politics, Visser looks behind outmoded federal environmental policies as he journeys far and wide to determine why the best efforts of the USEPA and Environment Canada are not ridding the Great Lakes of their most toxic chemicals.
Cold, Clear and Deadly is more than a story of science or politic -- it is the saga of one person?s relentless quest to unravel a toxic legacy. Mel Visser may be the best guide we?ve had to the truth about Great Lakes pollution.

As with many complex mysteries, once the answer is found, the beauty of simplicity prevails. We introduced the chemicals that made the cold, clear waters of our Northern Hemisphere deadly, and we taught others how to make and use these chemicals. We found our way out and banned these chemicals, but still have toxic waters. Until the rest of the world follows suit, the mistakes of the past will continue to haunt all who share our global ecosystem.

?If the ancient Greek philosopher Diogenes ever found himself searching ?for an honest man? on the shores of the Great Lakes, he need look no further than Mel Visser in his intrepid and relentless quest for the truth behind toxic contamination, its causes and its consequences. From Lake Superior to the Arctic Circle, and back again, Visser brings his impressive scientific knowledge and moral integrity to the search for answers to difficult questions which vex policy makers across the globe.?

?G. Tracy Mehan, III, formerly Assistant Administrator for Water, U.S. E.P.A., and Director of the Michigan Office of the Great Lakes.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * glin-announce is hosted by the Great Lakes Information Network (GLIN): http://www.great-lakes.net