GLIN==> May Seminar - Ann Arbor

NOAA - UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
GREAT LAKES SCIENCE SEMINAR SERIES

Please join us for the following presentation on
Tuesday, May 15, starting at 10:30am
GLERL Conference Room 105
2205 Commonwealth Blvd
Ann Arbor, MI  48105
See http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/facil/triptik.html for directions

Title:
Ramblings about algae - Part Two

Speaker:
Dr. Gary Fahnenstiel
Senior Ecologist
NOAA-GLERL Lake Michigan Field Station
Muskegon, MI

Abstract:
Algae influence water quality. In this presentation we will examine two ways algae influence water quality in the Great Lakes. The first is through the introduction of new algae into the Great Lakes via the ballast water and sediment of NOBOB ships. Using experimental approaches we will examine the potential of NOBOB ships as vectors for the introduction of non-indigenous algae. The second way algae influence water quality is by the production of toxins in nuisance blooms, particularly cyanobacteria blooms. We will examine the factors influencing the production of the toxin microcystin by the algal, Microcystis, in the Great Lakes.

--
David F. Reid, Ph.D.
Director, NOAA National Center for Research on