GLIN==> SEMINAR, July 25 - Ann Arbor

NOAA - UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
GREAT LAKES SEMINAR SERIES

Date and Time:
Wednesday, July 25, 2007
2:00 p.m.

Speaker:
Dr. Mark Ford
Executive Director
Coalition to Restore Coastal LA

Title:
"Mid-Twenty First Century Coastal Restoration in a Post-Apocalyptic World"

Abstract
Restoration in coastal Louisiana has always been a challenge, both logistically and financially.   However, since Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005, restoration has become more complicated and much more expensive.  Though the basic tools used to restore the landscape are the same, most restoration is now tied to protection measures, meaning the enhancement or construction of massive levee systems. In addition, various planning efforts are underway, efforts that are not as integrated as they should be at parish (local government), state and federal level. Very little funding is dedicated at this time to any of the restoration or protection projects being proposed. Complicating things further are changes in the population, insurance concerns, land loss, in addition to the financial elements, all of which have leapt to levels not expected for decades.

Non-governmental organizations are engaged in the process of restoration planning, crafting legislative language which we hope will result in authorizations and appropriations for needed projects, and the coordinating of local, state, and federal efforts at a much greater level than before the storm of 2005. There is a sense of urgency to restore the landscape. Some believe that within 10 years restoration as we currently know it will no longer be affordable and within those same 10 years we will pass a tipping point where there will no longer enough of the existing landscape to be able to do meaningful restoration in coastal Louisiana. Our challenge, and our mission, is to restore coastal Louisiana to a sustainable condition.

Where:
GLERL, Conference Room 105
2205 Commonwealth Blvd
Ann Arbor, MI
For directions, see
http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/facil/triptik.html

--
David F. Reid, Ph.D.
Director, NOAA National Center for Research on