GLIN==> Seiche Newsletter

Minnesota Sea Grant's "Seiche" online newsletter is now available:
http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/newsletter/

Topics include:

-Nobody Loses in Amity Creek Charrette Process
Planners, architects and Sea Grant staff created a balanced land use strategy for a housing development near a Duluth trout stream.

-Frequent Beach-Goers Aware of Rip Currents
Read the results of our survey last summer to assess rip current awareness among local Lake Superior swimmers.

-Freshwater Ballast Testing Facility Opens
Companies can now hook their latest ballast water treatment systems up to the world's first freshwater testing facility for ballast technologies, located on the shores of the Duluth-Superior Harbor.

-Readers Want to Know
Why is Lake Superior's water level so low and what does it mean for the environment and economy?

-Lake Superior Studies Point Out Problems With Using E. coli as an Indicator of Beach Contamination
The bacteria used to justify beach closings don't always come from the feces of warm-blooded animals. Populations of E. coli can also exist "el natural;" living freely on aquatic plants and in the sand.

...plus information on other staff activities and new products/services. If you'd like to be on the mailing list to receive a hard copy of this publication, please send me your name and street address. Or, if you'd like to receive a personal e-mail notification when the Seiche is available on the web, please send me your e-mail address. Subscription is FREE.

"Superior Science for You!"

Marie Zhuikov (pronounced zwee-cough)
Communications Coordinator
Minnesota Sea Grant - UMD