GLIN==> Invitation to upcoming waterfront and trail building conference

From: The Hon. David Crombie [mailto:lvarekamp@canurb.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 3:13 PM
Subject: Invitation to upcoming waterfront and trail building conference

Dear Colleague:

On behalf of the Waterfront Regeneration Trust and the Canadian Urban Institute, I invite you to help us celebrate 15 years of waterfront development and trail building on the Waterfront Trail and Greenway. Join community leaders, planners and business professionals from across Ontario and the United States for Beyond Regeneration: The Trail Ahead. This two-day event, a one-day conference and optional bike ride, will be held on September 19-20, 2007 at the Palais Royale, Toronto.

Highlights and Keynote speakers:

  • Fred Kent, President, Project for Public Spaces, New York
  • Joe Berridge, Partner, Urban Strategies
  • Adriaan Geuze, Founder, West 8 Urban Design & Landscape Architecture
  • Ontario Waterfront Investment Program Celebration Ceremony
  • T.J. Juskiewicz, RAGBRAI organizer
  • 3 community bicycle ride on the trail
  • For more information, view the program and register online today! (Summer rate of $249 (+GST) available until September 6, 2007)

The Waterfront Trail and Greenway is a multi-use trail that stretches along the Canadian shores of Lake Ontario and along the St. Lawrence River. It connects 41 communities and offers 900 km of scenic landscape, vibrant urban and rural life, from Niagara to Quebec. The success of the Trail results from unprecedented co-operation among communities, conservation authorities, corporations and individuals who have been working since 1992 towards a shared vision. The Waterfront Trail is much more than an environmental legacy of our collective commitment. It is a major part of the emerging provincial green infrastructure, providing people with valuable recreational and active transportation opportunities.

The lessons learned from this collaborative experience will be of value to planners, economic developers and community activists anywhere. Improving community connectivity is in the cards.

We invite you to join in this influential partnership as we review and celebrate the advancements made, and identify the next steps for further development of the Trail.

I look forward to seeing you on ?The Trail Ahead!?

Best regards,

The Hon. David Crombie, P.C., O.C.

Founder of the Waterfront Regeneration Trust

President and CEO of The Canadian Urban Institute