GLIN==> For Immediate Release: Great Food/Great Lakes Bioneers

For Immediate Release
Contact: Sarna Salzman
sarna@ecoSEEDS.org
231.929.3663
www.glbconference.org

Good Food at a Convention?
The Great Lakes Bioneers Conference, a gathering of people inspired by getting ‘deep into the local’ (October 19-21 in Traverse City, MI), is a cornucopia for the entire family.

Friday morning’s keynote address will be given by Marty Heller on Reconnecting a Local Food Culture.  Heller is an organic vegetable farmer in Leelanau County, moving here after bicycling with his partner Michelle Ferrarese to 31 Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farms across the state.  Heller has a PhD in Chemical Engineering, was cited in Michael Pollan’s Omnivore’s Dilemma, and has worked for the CS Mott Group for Sustainable Food Systems at MSU.

Heller will move from behind the podium of Milliken Auditorium to the kitchens of NMC offering a hands-on workshop with Bioneers Food Coordinator, Todd Springer, on How to Eat Like a Bioneer Year-Round. There, they’ll help transform the cafeteria of NMC into a local-foods adventure.  Working with chefs from around the region (including those from Trattoria Stella, Kejara’s Bridge, and Patisserie Amie) the freshest ingredients will be utilized to create an Epicurean Potluck for ticket holders.

The price of lunch remains so reasonable because the chefs donate their time and their kitchens for this event.  Ingredients are purchased from local farmers and producers like Ware Farm and Pleasanton Bakery.  “The food is so good it’s memorable; you’ll find yourself thinking fondly about your meal later,” quips Libby Mahaffey, Bioneers organizer.  “Register and get your lunch tickets early because we will sell out,” adds Springer.

In addition to lunch, conference participants are welcome in the Bioneers Café, which serves liquid libations from local businesses. Higher Grounds Trading Co. and Light of Day Tea give a pick-me-up to those who have been talking and networking late into the night.  The healthy buzz of conversation is kept lubricated with our complimentary 100% Fair Trade, Organic Café.  “We love creating the Café for the Bioneers. The conversations I’ve heard started there are worth the price of admission to the entire conference,” said Jody Treeter of Higher Grounds.  This event aims toward zero-waste, so bring your own mug!

To register, or for more information about this year’s speakers, workshops, and events see our website: www.glbconference.org or call 800.220.1415.

The Hosts
The Neahtawanta Center is a place of peace and rejuvenation. The Center’s primary focus is education, communication, community building, and organizing. www.nrec.org

SEEDS works on projects that lessen our ecological footprint through Engineering & Design, Capacity Building & Networking, and Arts & Education. www.ecoSEEDS.org