GLIN==> Coalition Applauds Congress for Authorizing Asian Carp Barrier

Coalition Applauds Congress for Authorizing Asian Carp Barrier

WASHINGTON, D.C. (November 8)—The Healing Our Waters-Great Lakes
Coalition today praised the U.S. Congress for overriding a Presidential
veto and authorizing key Great Lakes programs–including an electric
barrier to keep out non-native Asian carp from the lakes–in a bill
passed today.

“We applaud the U.S. Congress for authorizing programs that are
essential to restoring the Great Lakes and protecting our economy and
way of life,” said Jeff Skelding, national campaign director for the
Healing Our Waters-Great Lakes Coalition. “Taking action now is
essential, because the longer we wait, the problems get worse and the
solutions more costly.”

Following a veto last week by President Bush, the Water Resources
Development Act passed the House on Tuesday and Senate this afternoon
with veto-proof margins.

It authorizes several programs to restore the Great Lakes, including the
construction of an electric barrier on the Chicago Sanitary and Ship
Canal to keep the non-native Asian carp from entering the lakes. Carp
threaten the safety of boaters and the region’s multi-billion-dollar
fishery.

In addition to the Asian carp barrier, the comprehensive water projects
bill authorizes Great Lakes programs that support:

·	Restoration of habitat and fishery through the Great Lakes
Fishery & Ecosystem Restoration Act;
·	Clean-up of toxic harbors through the Great Lakes Remedial
Action Plans;
·	Reduction of soil erosion and non-point source pollution through
the Great Lakes Tributary Model Program; and,
·	Removal of dams to restore habitat through the Aquatic Ecosystem
and Estuary Restoration Program.

The Water Resources Development Act authorizes navigation and ecosystem
restoration projects across the nation. The act was last authorized in
2000.

Several of the Great Lakes restoration programs in the bill are a part
of a comprehensive plan to restore the lakes, the Great Lakes Regional
Collaboration Strategy. That strategy has been translated into federal
legislation, the Great Lakes Collaboration Implementation Act of 2007,
which awaits passage in Congress.

“Comprehensive restoration of the Great Lakes is essential if we are to
reverse the ecological breakdown of the lakes caused by sewage
contamination, invasive species and other threats,” said Skelding. “We
have solutions to these problems. It is now time to use them. It’s time
for Congress to pass the Great Lakes Collaboration Implementation Act to
protect our lakes, our public health, our economy, and our way of life.”

For more information, visit: http://www.healthylakes.org/

The Healthy Lakes, Healthy Lives Campaign is directed by the Healing Our
Waters®-Great Lakes Coalition. The coalition consists of more than 90
zoos, aquariums, museums, and hunting, fishing, and environmental
organizations representing millions of people, whose common goal is to
restore and protect the Great Lakes.

For Immediate Release:
September 25, 2007

Contact:
Jordan Lubetkin, Healing Our Waters-Great Lake Coalition, (734)
904-1589; lubetkin@nwf.org
Jeff Skelding, Healing Our Waters-Great Lakes Coalition, (410) 245-8021;
JSkelding@nwf.org

*** Please note my new phone number below--(734) 887-7109 . ***

Jordan Lubetkin
Regional Communications Manager
National Wildlife Federation
Great Lakes Natural Resource Center
213 W. Liberty St., Suite 200
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1398
www.nwf.org
www.healthylakes.org

Phone: (734) 887-7109
Cell: (734) 904-1589

Inspiring Americans to protect wildlife for our children's future.