GLIN==> GL Town Hall: Jim Te Selle shares stories about growing up on Lake Michigan

This Week in the Great Lakes Town Hall...

GLTH Email Header

Each week we invite grassroots activists, artists, officials, physicians, parents, young people and others to offer insightful commentary on their Great Lakes experiences and views. Of course, we also invite you to comment on their thoughts.

This week, the Town Hall is pleased to welcome Jim Te Selle, the president of the Wisconsin Great Lakes Coalition. Don't miss your chance to read and respond to Jim Te Selle's Great Lakes perspectives every day this week - only in the Great Lakes Town Hall!

JimTeSelle160        About Jim Te Selle. . .

Jim Te Selle grew up spending the summers on Lake Michigan at his grandparents' cottage right on the beach. From little on, he's loved nature. Upon gaining adulthood, a condition he's not really sure he likes, he went to college, got a job, a mortgage, a wife, and twin boys - all the trappings of the 'successful' American male. But it wasn't enough. Lately retired, Jim now finds that he has an opportunity to help give Mother Nature a hand in dealing with all the problems humankind has dealt her.

Jim has traveled extensively around the world, speaks several languages, and has even lived in China. The experience has taught him a lot. He likes to point out that we Americans don't appreciate what we've got, and need to put more effort into keeping our environment and our quality of life healthy. Too few people today bother to take note of environmental problems until it's in their back yard, and then of course it's too late.

Today he is the president of a group of Lake Michigan shoreline property owners, the Wisconsin Great Lakes Coalition (WGLC), which acts as an advocacy group to encourage a successful Great Lakes Restoration.

Read and respond to Jim Te Selle in the Town Hall

In addition to guest speakers, the Great Lakes Town Hall focuses on a new featured Great Lakes issue each week, provided by co-moderators Jeffrey Potter, Dave Dempsey, Gary Wilson, and Brenna Wanous. This week, Dave bases his essay on an article that describes Lake Superior's toxicity, and states that in order for cleaning up the Lake to be hopeful, we must stop repolluting it!

Don't miss this great opportunity to read and comment on our featured issue - Heads in the Sand on Toxic Chemicals? - and the thoughts of Jim Te Selle, in the Great Lakes Town Hall all this week!

Guest speakers contribute content on a Great Lakes topic of their choice for five days. While there are basic rules of conduct, guest speakers are unedited and diverse views are welcome. If you are interested in serving as a guest speaker, please reply to this email.

Your Great Lakes Neighbor,

Jeffrey Potter

Brenna Wanous
Great Lakes Town Hall Manager