GLIN==> Rep. Dolan to Reintroduce Great Lakes Compact Legislation

State Representative Matthew Dolan

98th House District

For Immediate Release

November 30, 2007

Contact: Claire Stilwell

Phone: (614) 644-5088

Dolan to Reintroduce Great Lakes Compact Legislation

COLUMBUSState Representative Matthew Dolan (R- Novelty) today announced he plans to reintroduce legislation in the coming weeks ratifying the historic Great Lakes-St. Lawrence River Basin Water Resources Compact in Ohio.

“The Great Lakes are a vital natural resource in our area and a major contributor to our economy,” Dolan said. “I am excited to reintroduce this important piece of legislation and look forward to joining the other Great Lakes states in preserving Ohio’s most vital resource that will enhance our economy, environment and quality of life.

The Great Lakes-St. Lawrence River Basin Water Compact prohibits diversions of water outside of the Great Lakes watershed, with limited exceptions, and applies a common standard for managing all waters of the Great Lakes Basin. The plan was developed by the governors of the eight Great Lakes states and must be approved by each state’s legislature as well as Congress before it can go into effect.

Dolan sponsored similar legislation during the 126th General Assembly. The bill passed the House with a vote of 82-5 and was pending in the Senate at the end of the General Assembly.

-30-

--
Kristy Meyer
Director of Clean Water Programs

Do you care about protecting the environment, public health and our natural resources? Become a member of the Ohio Environmental Council and help make a difference. Learn more about OEC and make your tax-deductible contribution at: http://www.theoec.org/Donate.asp