GLIN==> GL Town Hall: Wayne Grady guest writing; Energy in the Great Lakes

Dear Great Lakes neighbor,

Each week we invite grassroots activists, artists, officials, physicians, parents, young people and others to offer insightful commentary on their Great Lakes experiences and views. Of course, we also invite you to comment on their thoughts!

This week, the Town Hall is pleased to welcome Wayne Grady, one of Ontario's finest writers and author of the recent book, The Great Lakes: The Natural History of a Changing Region. Come visit the Great Lakes Town Hall to read and respond to Wayne Grady’s stories and perspectives about the Great Lakes every day this week - only in the Great Lakes Town Hall!

About Wayne Grady...

Wayne Grady was born on the Great Lakes in Windsor, Ontario, just south of Detroit, Michigan in 1948. His father's family came to Windsor from Michigan in the 1880s, and he still has relatives in the Cassopolis area. When Wayne began writing Great Lakes: A Natural History two years ago, he realized he'd lived his entire life in the Great Lakes basin, and that more than any mere political definition -- city, province, state, even country -- the Great Lakes ecosystem is his home.

Wayne has been writing about science and nature since the 1980s. As editor of Harrowsmith, a Canadian back-to-the-land magazine published from a small town near Kingston, Ontario, until about 1990, he began writing and reading about nature. And it was through nature writing that he became aware of threats to the environment. He still believes that the best way to make readers care about the environment is to make them care about nature, and the best way to make them care about nature is to inform them about it. Most people do care about their environment, which is of course their habitat, and would do something about it if they knew enough about what is happening to it.

Wayne has written 10 books of nonfiction, including two books about paleontology (one on the connection between dinosaurs and birds); a book about nature in the city; books about coyotes and vultures and a single Douglas-fir tree (which he co-authored with David Suzuki); and a book of essays about the relationships between humans, technology and wilderness. In all of his work, the theme has been the complex interactions that exist between the natural and the unnatural worlds we live in.

Wayne's most recent book, The Great Lakes: The Natural History of a Changing Region, was published in October of 2007 by Greystone Books, and is available in fine bookstores everywhere.

Read and respond to Wayne Grady in the Town Hall

New Poll on the Town Hall!

Our country, and especially the Great Lakes region, has been blessed with an incredible array of resources that can provide us with alternative energy. The problem is that not all energy sources are created equal in terms of impact on the Earth, cost, and availability.

Given the plethora of energy options, where should we start? What is the primary source of energy the Great Lakes States and provinces should pursue, for the long term?

Take the Great Lakes Energy Poll!

The Featured Issue…

In addition to guest speakers, the Great Lakes Town Hall focuses on a new featured Great Lakes issue each week, provided by co-moderators Dave Dempsey, Gary Wilson, and Brenna Wanous. This week, Brenna explores the potential the Great Lakes region has in being a leader in wind energy production.

Don't miss this great opportunity to read and comment on our featured issue - There's a message on the breeze - and the thoughts of Wayne Grady, in the Great Lakes Town Hall all this week!

Guest speakers contribute content on a Great Lakes topic of their choice for five days. While there are basic rules of conduct, guest speakers are unedited and diverse views are welcome. If you are interested in serving as a guest speaker, please reply to this email. We encourage individuals of all ages, occupations, and opinions to participate in the conversation.

Your Great Lakes Neighbor,

Brenna Wanous
Great Lakes Town Hall Manager

Biodiversity Project