GLIN==> Correction: Coalition Applauds Congress for Improving Great Lakes Funding

Coalition Applauds Congress for Improving Great Lakes Funding

WASHINGTON, D.C. (March 14) - The Healing Our Waters-Great Lakes
Coalition today praised the U.S. Senate for passing a budget that
increases funding to essential Great Lakes programs to stop invasive
species and restore fish and wildlife habitat.

“The U.S. Senate’s budget is a win for the Great Lakes and a win
for the millions of people who depend on them for their jobs, health and
way of life,” said Jeff Skelding, national campaign director for the
Healing Our Waters-Great Lakes Coalition. “We urge Congress to
appropriate the money, because the longer we wait, the problems get
worse and the solutions more costly.”

U.S. Sen. Russell Feingold (D-Wisc.), Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.)
were instrumental in getting the increased funding and getting the
budget resolution to reject President Bush’s 16 percent cut in Great
Lakes funding and support vital lake programs.

All 16 Great Lakes Senators sent a letter to the Senate Budget
Committee asking the Committee to reject the President’s cuts and make
room in the Senate’s budget for Great Lakes funding.

“We applaud Sen. Stabenow, Sen. Feingold, and the entire Great Lakes
Senate delegation for leading the effort to make sure the Senate’s
budget rejects the President’s 16 percent cut in Great Lakes funding
and instead recognizes that protecting and restoring the Great Lakes is
a priority for the region and nation,” said Skelding. “The Great
Lakes are an economic engine for America. Their health is tied to the
health of our families and communities.”

The Senate’s budget targets $175 million dollars for Great Lakes
programs, including those designed to clean up toxic pollution (Great
Lakes Legacy Act), and restore fish and wildlife habitat (Great Lakes
Fish and Wildlife Restoration Act and Great Lakes fishery and Ecosystem
Restoration), a $77 million increase over the President’s fiscal year
2009 budget request.

For similar programs, the Healing Our Waters Coalition requested a
budget of $180 million.

“We look forward to working with the Senate to make sure that the
money budgeted for these essential programs is appropriated,” said
Skelding. “We have solutions to restore our Great Lakes, our economy,
our drinking water and our way of life. It’s time that we use
them.”

For more information, visit: http://www.healthylakes.org

Immediate Release:
March 14, 2008

Contact:
Jeff Skelding, Healing Our Waters-Great Lakes Coalition, 202-797-6893,
jskelding@nwf.org
Tracey McIntire, National Parks Conservation Association, 202-454-3311,
tmcintire@npca.org
Jordan Lubetkin, National Wildlife Federation, 734-904-1589,
lubetkin@nwf.org