GLIN==> FW: Lt. Governor praises passage of Great Lakes invasive species bill

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 25, 2008
Contact: T.J. Bucholz
(517) 335-6397

Cherry Applauds U.S. House of Representatives for Passage of Strong Great
Lakes Invasive Species Bill Cherry urges deliberate passage in U.S. Senate
in coming weeks

LANSING - Lt. Governor John D. Cherry Jr. today praised members of the U.S.
House of Representatives for passing a bill that aims to prevent aquatic
invasive species from entering the Great Lakes and other U.S. waters.

Cherry - who also serves as chairman of the Great Lakes Commission - visited
Washington D.C. in late February, urging members of Congress to pass a
strong bill that would stop the dumping of untreated ballast water from
ocean-going vessels into the Great Lakes.

"This bill requires the federal government to accelerate actions that
protect our Great Lakes and other waters nationwide," Cherry said.  "I urge
members of the U.S. Senate to join in crafting a solution to stop aquatic
invasive species from using ballast water as a pathway to the Great Lakes.
As one of the few states to take strong independent action, I hope Congress
will agree on a new federal law that Michigan and other states can strongly
support."

The U.S. House of Representatives passed the Coast Guard Authorization Act
of 2007 (H.R. 2830) by a vote of 395 to 7 on Thursday.

# # #