GLIN==> Region Closer to Protecting Great Lakes from Water Diversions

Historic Votes in Michigan, Wisconsin Bring Region Closer
To Protecting Great Lakes from Water Diversions

ANN ARBOR, MICH. (May 15, 2008) – The National Wildlife Federation today praised state leaders in Michigan and Wisconsin for passing yesterday the Great Lakes Water Resources Compact.

“These historic votes in Michigan and Wisconsin bring the region a quantum leap closer to protecting the Great Lakes from water diversions outside the region and to promoting water conservation within the region,” said Andy Buchsbaum, regional executive director of the National Wildlife Federation’s Great Lakes office.

Four other states have passed the Great Lakes Water Resources Compact: Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, and New York. Ohio and Pennsylvania are the two remaining states to pass the Compact.  The Ohio House and Pennsylvania House have passed the Compact, but action is still needed in both state senates.

“We cannot let the momentum die,” said Buchsbaum. “We urge the remaining states – Ohio and Pennsylvania - to unite with the region, sign the Compact into law and stand up for the millions of people and businesses which depend on Great Lakes water.”

Endorsed by the eight Great Lakes governors in 2005, the Great Lakes Water Resources Compact must be approved in identical form by each Great Lakes state and consented to by U.S. Congress before becoming legally binding. The states can enact different forms of the implementing legislation to respond to specific state needs.

Wisconsin enacted the Compact and legislation to implement it within the state. Michigan passed the Compact and is still working on implementing legislation which is necessary to make the Compact fully effective in the state.

“The National Wildlife Federation applauds the lawmakers in the Michigan House and Senate and Wisconsin Senate and Assembly for their hard work, leadership and vision for the Great Lakes. “We’re on the home stretch. Ohio and Pennsylvania are now the only two states that have yet to pass the Water Compact. We urge them to act swiftly. The future of the Great Lakes depends on it.”

National Wildlife Federation is America's conservation organization inspiring Americans to protect wildlife for our children’s future.

For Immediate Release:
May 15, 2008

Contact:
Jordan Lubetkin, National Wildlife Federation, (734) 887-7109, lubetkin@nwf.org
Andy Buchsbaum, National Wildlife Federation, (734) 717-3665, buchsbaum@nwf.org

Jordan Lubetkin
Senior Regional Communications Manager
National Wildlife Federation - Great Lakes Office
213 West Liberty, Suite 200 | Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Phone: 734-887-7109 | Fax: 734-887-7199 | Cell: 734-904-1589

NWF's mission is to inspire Americans to protect wildlife for our children's future. www.nwf.org/news/

Working to restore the Great Lakes by offering solutions to sewage contamination, invasive species and other threats. www.healthylakes.org