GLIN==> GL Town Hall: Great Lakes Legacy Act essay, and guest writer Raina Clark!

Dear Great Lakes Neighbor,

Each week we invite grassroots activists, artists, officials, physicians, parents, young people and others to offer insightful commentary on their Great Lakes experiences and views. Of course, we also invite you to comment on their thoughts!

This week, the Town Hall is pleased to welcome Raina Clark, Environmental Sustainability Coordinator at UW-Stout, and part of the Coast Guard family. Come visit the Great Lakes Town Hall to read and respond to Raina Clark's stories and perspectives about the Great Lakes every day this week - only in the Great Lakes Town Hall!

About Raina Clark...

Raina Clark is an environmental communicator, maritime writer and part of a Coast Guard family. She's a former US Coast Guard officer and her husband currently serves aboard the USCG Cutter Alder out of Duluth, Minnesota. "Sometimes I get a little envious of the stories and photos my husband brings back, but less so of the long hours and seemingly endless cruises."

Instead, Raina stays on land as the half-time Environmental Sustainability Coordinator at the University of Wisconsin-Stout in Menomonie, Wisconsin.

"I love being part of so many grassroots collaborations on campus, in the community and throughout the UW system. My job at UW-Stout is about creativity and people who want to make a difference." Raina manages campus environmental communications, monitors compliance with environmental initiatives and leads the campus sustainability committee. See the UW-Stout Environmental Sustainability website at www.uwstout.edu/sustainability.

"The rest of my work week is spent on freelance projects. I've learned so much covering the Great Lakes for MarineNews and Maritime Reporter & Engineering News and like to take on the occasional media relations project." Raina also writes the Great Lakes Maritime Industry blog at www.roclark.com, focusing on issues like ballast water management, dredging, water levels and shipping markets.

Outside of work Raina explores new activities with her five-year old son (karate and theater this year) and squeezes in a few hours a week for her pet project, a memoir about her experience in the Coast Guard as the lone female on a remote Alaskan base. You can visit Raina's personal website at www.rainaclark.com

New Poll in the Great Lakes Town Hall!

We all know that federal, state, and local policy plays a very significant role in protecting and restoring the Great Lakes. But where do average, everyday citizens fit in? What can we do to make a difference?

What do you think?

What is the most effective action that an average citizen can take in their every day lives to protect the Great Lakes?

In addition to guest speakers, the Great Lakes Town Hall focuses on a new featured Great Lakes issue each week, provided by co-moderators Dave Dempsey, Gary Wilson, and Brenna Wanous. This week, Gary delves into the Great Lakes Legacy Act, laying out its importance, and advocating that citizens and Senators alike become invested in the legislation's success.

Don't miss this great opportunity to read and comment on our featured issue - Our Legacy: Clean Water or a "Black Lagoon" - and the stories and perspectives of Raina Clark in the Great Lakes Town Hall all this week!

Guest speakers contribute content on a Great Lakes topic of their choice for five days. While there are basic rules of conduct, guest speakers are unedited and diverse views are welcome. If you are interested in serving as a guest speaker, please reply to this email. We encourage individuals of all ages, occupations, and opinions to participate in the conversation.

Your Great Lakes Neighbor,

Brenna Wanous
Great Lakes Town Hall Manager

Biodiversity Project