GLIN==> Historic Vote in Ohio Brings Region Closer to Protecting Great Lakes from Water Diversions

Historic Vote in Ohio Brings Region Closer to Protecting Great Lakes from Water Diversions

ANN ARBOR, MICH. (June 10, 2008) – The National Wildlife Federation today praised state leaders in Ohio for passing the Great Lakes Water Resources Compact.

“The historic votes by the Ohio House and Senate bring the region a quantum leap closer to protecting the Great Lakes from water diversions outside the region and to promoting water conservation within the region,” said Andy Buchsbaum, regional executive director of the National Wildlife Federation’s Great Lakes office.

Once Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland signs the compact—which he has signaled he intends to do—Ohio will become the sixth state to pass the water management agreement, joining Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, New York and Wisconsin.

“We cannot let the momentum die,” said Buchsbaum. “We urge the remaining states to unite with the region, sign the Water Compact into law and stand up for the millions of people and businesses which depend on Great Lakes water.”

Endorsed by the eight Great Lakes governors in 2005, the Great Lakes Water Resources Compact must be approved in identical form by each Great Lakes state and consented to by U.S. Congress before becoming legally binding. The states can enact different forms of the implementing legislation to respond to specific state needs.

“The National Wildlife Federation applauds the lawmakers in Ohio who have worked tirelessly to get this done,” said Buchsbaum. “We’re on the home stretch. We urge Michigan and Pennsylvania to act swiftly to protect the Great Lakes from water diversions. The future of this great resource depends on it.”

National Wildlife Federation is America's conservation organization inspiring Americans to protect wildlife for our children’s future.

For Immediate Release:
June 10, 2008

Contact:
Jordan Lubetkin, National Wildlife Federation, (734) 887-7109, lubetkin@nwf.org
Andy Buchsbaum, National Wildlife Federation, (734) 717-3665, buchsbaum@nwf.org

Jordan Lubetkin
Senior Regional Communications Manager
National Wildlife Federation - Great Lakes Office
213 West Liberty, Suite 200 | Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Phone: 734-887-7109 | Fax: 734-887-7199 | Cell: 734-904-1589

NWF's mission is to inspire Americans to protect wildlife for our children's future. www.nwf.org/news/

Working to restore the Great Lakes by offering solutions to sewage contamination, invasive species and other threats. www.healthylakes.org