GLIN==> One State Remains in Quest to Protect Great Lakes from Water Diversions

One State Remains in Quest to Protect Great Lakes from Water Diversions

ANN ARBOR, MICH. (June 26, 2008) – One state remains in the effort to protect the Great Lakes from water diversions, following Michigan’s passage of  the Great Lakes Water Resources Compact and implementing legislation late yesterday, June 25.

Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm has signaled her intent to sign the bill, leaving Pennsylvania as the only remaining Great Lakes state to pass and ratify the water management agreement before it heads to the U.S. Congress.

“We are one step closer to ratifying this historic agreement and slamming the door on Great Lakes water diversions—and we cannot let the momentum die now,” said Andy Buchsbaum, regional executive director of the National Wildlife Federation’s Great Lakes office. “We urge Pennsylvania to act swiftly to sign the Compact into law and stand up for the millions of people and businesses which depend on Great Lakes water.”

Michigan joins the states of Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, New York, Ohio and Wisconsin as having ratified the Great Lakes Water Resources Compact, a regional water management pact to protect the Great Lakes from water diversions and to promote efficient water use within the region.

Endorsed by the eight Great Lakes governors in 2005, the Great Lakes Water Resources Compact must be approved in identical form by each Great Lakes state and consented to by U.S. Congress before becoming legally binding. The states can enact different forms of implementing legislation to respond to specific state needs.

“The National Wildlife Federation applauds the lawmakers in the Michigan House and Senate – and particularly state Senator Patty Birkholz and state Representative Rebekah Warren -- for their hard work, leadership and vision for the Great Lakes,” said Buchsbaum. “We’re on the home stretch and urge Pennsylvania lawmakers to stand arm-in-arm with the other states in the region to pass the Compact now. The future of the Great Lakes depends on it.”

National Wildlife Federation is America's conservation organization inspiring Americans to protect wildlife for our children’s future.

For Immediate Release:
June 26, 2008

Contact:
Jordan Lubetkin, National Wildlife Federation, (734) 887-7109, lubetkin@nwf.org
Andy Buchsbaum, National Wildlife Federation, (734) 717-3665, buchsbaum@nwf.org

Jordan Lubetkin
Senior Regional Communications Manager
National Wildlife Federation - Great Lakes Office
213 West Liberty, Suite 200 | Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Phone: 734-887-7109 | Fax: 734-887-7199 | Cell: 734-904-1589

NWF's mission is to inspire Americans to protect wildlife for our children's future. www.nwf.org/news/

Working to restore the Great Lakes by offering solutions to sewage contamination, invasive species and other threats. www.healthylakes.org