GLIN==> GL Town Hall: GL's Cluster of MEP, + Water is Just Like Beer? essay

Click to view this email in a browser

header_01.jpg

This Week in Your Great Lakes Town Hall!

Guest Writer: Great Lakes Cluster of Minnesota Environmental
Partnership (MEP)

Featured Issue: Water is Just Like Beer? by Dave Dempsey

 New on the Community
Bulletin Board
  • Great Lakes Compact loophole allows bottled water
  • Grassroots stops BP Hammond asphalt facility
  • Great Lakes Panel in Detroit, August 21
  • Great Lakes Photo Contest Deadline Approaching
  • Congressman Stupak Questions Compact

Opinion Poll in the
Town Hall!!

If you were in charge of choosing one cultural project focused on the Great Lakes that would raise the national profile of the region, which initiative would you set as your top priority?

  • Lighthouse Restoration (so far 22%)
  • Shipwreck Exploration (22%)
  • Great Lakes cultural festivals (33$)
  • Other (22%) (please specify in the Comments section!)

Support the Town Hall!

 Click here to make a secure donation through GroundSpring to support the Great Lakes
Town Hall!

Activities in the Town Hall
  • Featured Issue
  • Guest Writer
  • Opinion Polls
  • Community Bulletin Board
  • Make a donation

Dear Great Lakes Neighbor,

Each week we invite grassroots activists, artists, officials, physicians, parents, young people and others to offer insightful commentary on their Great Lakes experiences and views. Of course, we also invite you to comment on their thoughts!

This week, the Town Hall is pleased to welcome Great Lakes Cluster of Minnesota Environmental Partnership.  Come visit the Great Lakes Town Hall to read and respond to the Great Lakes Cluster's stories and perspectives about the Great Lakes every day this week - only in the Great Lakes Town Hall!

GreatLakesCluster86.jpgGuest Writer this week-- Great Lakes Cluster of Minnesota Environmental Partnership (MEP)

The Minnesota Environmental Partnership (MEP) is a coalition of organizations committed to the protection and restoration of Minnesota's lakes, rivers, streams, forests, natural areas, parks and trails. In total, more than 80 nonprofit conservation and environmental organizations from throughout Minnesota belong to MEP, representing a combined membership of more than 450,000 Minnesotans.

Guest writers this weekn include Cluster members Julie O'Leary from MEP, Cathy Podeszwa from Duluth Audubon Society, Chuck Laszewski from the Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy, Darrell Gerber from the Clean Water Action Midwest Office and Dave Dempsey from Conservation Minnesota (and co-moderator of the Town Hall).

Short biographies of each writer are available on the Great Lakes Town Hall.

Featured Issue this week - Water is Just Like Beer?

In addition to guest speakers, the Great Lakes Town Hall focuses on a new featured Great Lakes issue each week, provided by co-moderators Dave Dempsey, Gary Wilson, and Brenna Wanous. This week, Dave writes a provoking commentary on the difference between bottling and selling Great Lakes water, and using Great Lakes water to create a new product.

He also urges Congress to protect Great Lakes water when he writes,

"Congress, when you consent to the Compact, please stipulate that you are not sanctioning a trade in Great Lakes water; and remove the profane definition of water as a product from the Compact."

Read Dave's Featured Issue, and put in your two cents!

Bringing you a better Great Lakes Town Hall!

We listened to all of the wonderful feedback from our 2007 survey and have taken your advice. We will be launching your new Town Hall this December. You can expect easier navigation, new features, all past postings and much, much more!

We are looking for sponsors to support the building of the new Town Hall. Here is a great opportunity for businesses to sponsor a good cause and see their logo on the front page of the Town Hall. Are you interested? Do you know someone who might be interested? If so, please contact Brenna Wanous at bwanous@biodiverse.org or 773-496-4020.

Don't miss this great opportunity to read and comment on our featured issue - Water is Just Like Beer? - and the stories and perspectives of the Great Lakes Cluster of MEP in the Great Lakes Town Hall all this week!

Guest speakers contribute content on a Great Lakes topic of their choice for five days. While there are basic rules of conduct, guest speakers are unedited and diverse views are welcome. If you are interested in serving as a guest speaker, please reply to this email. We encourage individuals of all ages, occupations, and opinions to participate in the conversation.

Your Great Lakes Neighbor,

brenna sig.jpg

Brenna Wanous
Great Lakes Town Hall Manager

Biodiversity Project's Great Lakes Town Hall

phone: 773-496-4020

- Join your neighbors in the Great Lakes Town Hall today! -

Click here to forward this email to a friend

Great Lakes Town Hall
Biodiversity Project
4507 N. Ravenswood Ave.
Suite 106