GLIN==> GL Town Hall: Great Lakes Mayors Becker and MacDonald, + Healing Our Waters essay

Click to view this email in a browser

Right-click here to download pictures. To help protect your privacy, Outlook prevented automatic download of this picture from the Internet.
header_01.jpg

This Week in Your Great Lakes Town Hall!

Guest Writers: Mayor Gary Becker of Racine, Wisc. and Mayor Larry MacDonald of Bayfield, Wisc.

Featured Issue: Healing Our Waters

by Gary Wilson

 New on the Community

Bulletin Board

  • Great Lakes Compact loophole allows bottled water
  • Grassroots stops BP Hammond asphalt facility
  • Great Lakes Panel in Detroit, August 21
  • Great Lakes Photo Contest Deadline Approaching
  • Congressman Stupak Questions Compact

 Post an announcement or question on the Community Bulletin Board!

Opinion Poll in the

Town Hall!!

If you were in charge of choosing one cultural project focused on the Great Lakes that would raise the national profile of the region, which initiative would you set as your top priority?

  • Lighthouse Restoration (so far 23%)
  • Shipwreck Exploration (23%)
  • Great Lakes cultural festivals (38%)
  • Other (15%) (please specify in the Comments section!)

  Vote in the Opinion Poll

Support the Town Hall!

 Click here to make a secure donation through GroundSpring to support the Great Lakes Town Hall!

Activities in the Town Hall

  • Featured Issue
  • Guest Writer
  • Opinion Polls
  • Community Bulletin Board
  • Make a donation

Get Involved in your Town Hall today!

Dear Great Lakes Neighbor,

Each week we invite grassroots activists, artists, officials, physicians, parents, young people and others to offer insightful commentary on their Great Lakes experiences and views. Of course, we also invite you to comment on their thoughts!

This week, the Town Hall is pleased to welcome Mayors Gary Becker (Racine) and Larry MacDonald (Bayfield), participants of the 2008 Mayors Challenge during September's Coastal Awareness Month in Wisconsin.  Come visit the Great Lakes Town Hall to read and respond to these Mayors' stories and perspectives about the Great Lakes every day this week - only in the Great Lakes Town Hall!

Right-click here to download pictures. To help protect your privacy, Outlook prevented automatic download of this picture from the Internet.
BeckerMacDonald86.jpgGuest Writers this week-- Gary Becker and Larry MacDonald

Gary Becker (top photograph), a native of Racine, decided in 1995 that the time was right to run for alderman of Racine’s 15th District and served two terms. In 2003, after winning a five way primary, he was elected Mayor of the City of Racine. Mayor Becker is now in his second term, after running unopposed in 2007. In addition to the city committees he sits on and chairs, the mayor is active in a number of regional and national organizations. Mayor Becker is a member of the Housing and Development Committee, Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Committee, the Ad Hoc Committee on Climate Change and the Mayors Water Council for the US Conference of Mayors. Mayor Becker also is Vice-Chair of the Wisconsin Alliance of Cities, Chair of the Wisconsin Coastal Management Council, Chair of the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence Cities Initiative, Wisconsin Chapter President of the National Brownsfield Association and Sustainable Development Co-Chair of the Regional Collaboration for the Great lakes. Mayor Becker and his wife Julie were married on Valentine’s Day in 1981 and are the proud parents of two daughters, Lindsay and Maggie.

Larry MacDonald (bottom photograph) is beginning his 7th term as Mayor of the eco-municipality of Bayfield, Wisconsin. He has combined serving on the Chequamegon Bay Alliance for Sustainability, the University of Wisconsin Sea Grant Advisory Council, the Wisconsin Coastal Management Council, the Friends of the Apostle Islands and most recently the Arts Wisconsin Board while aggressively supporting the passage of the Great Lakes Water Compact and other community oriented activities to provide a well rounded and practical approach to working toward goals for community preservation and sustainability. Larry and his wife Julie have owned a bed & breakfast in the City of Bayfield since 1989.

Read and Respond to Mayor Becker's and Mayor MacDonald's essays in the Town Hall!

Featured Issue this week - Healing Our Waters

In addition to guest speakers, the Great Lakes Town Hall focuses on a new featured Great Lakes issue each week, provided by co-moderators Dave Dempsey, Gary Wilson, and Brenna Wanous. This week, Gary introduces the Healing Our Waters (HOW) Conference, to be held this week in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  He raises concerns about the disconnect between the political leaders that guide Great Lakes policy and the citizens of the region - those who are concerned about Great Lakes issues but are not integrated into the discussions.

Read Gary's Featured Issue, and put in your two cents!

Bringing you a better Great Lakes Town Hall!

We listened to all of the wonderful feedback from our 2007 survey and have taken your advice. We will be launching your new Town Hall this December. You can expect easier navigation, new features, all past postings and much, much more!

We are looking for sponsors to support the building of the new Town Hall. Here is a great opportunity for businesses to sponsor a good cause and see their logo on the front page of the Town Hall. Are you interested? Do you know someone who might be interested? If so, please contact Brenna Wanous at bwanous@biodiverse.org or 773-496-4020.

Don't miss this great opportunity to read and comment on our featured issue - Healing Our Waters - and the stories and perspectives of Mayor Becker and Mayor MacDonald in the Great Lakes Town Hall all this week!

Guest speakers contribute content on a Great Lakes topic of their choice for five days. While there are basic rules of conduct, guest speakers are unedited and diverse views are welcome. If you are interested in serving as a guest speaker, please reply to this email. We encourage individuals of all ages, occupations, and opinions to participate in the conversation.

Your Great Lakes Neighbor,

Right-click here to download pictures. To help protect your privacy, Outlook prevented automatic download of this picture from the Internet.
brenna sig.jpg

Brenna Wanous
Great Lakes Town Hall Manager

Biodiversity Project's Great Lakes Town Hall

email: bwanous@biodiverse.org

Click here to forward this email to a friend

Great Lakes Town Hall
Biodiversity Project
4507 N. Ravenswood Ave.
Suite 106
Chicago, IL 60640

Right-click here to download pictures. To help protect your privacy, Outlook prevented automatic download of this picture from the Internet.

Right-click here to download pictures. To help protect your privacy, Outlook prevented automatic download of this picture from the Internet.

Brenna Wanous
Great Lakes Town Hall Manager

Great Lakes Forever Program Assistant

Biodiversity Project