September 13, 2008

STUDENTS TAKE ACTION TO PROTECT LAKE MICHIGAN
 Milwaukee Area Students Participate in an International Coastal Cleanup

Tuesday, September 23, 2008
10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

Beach Cleanup Sites:
Big Bay Beach
Whitefish Bay Middle School
Lincoln Memorial Drive, Whitefish Bay

Bradford Beach
Fratney &Maryland Ave Montessori School
2300 Lincoln Memorial Dr., Milwaukee

McKinley Beach
WI Conservancy of Life Long Learning
Lincoln Memorial Drive, Milwaukee

Bay View Beach
Trowbridge School
3100 S. Superior St., Milwaukee

Grant Park Beach
St. Rafael School
Off Hawthorn Ave., south of the golf course

Over 350 local students, teachers and volunteers will participate in the Wisconsin Beach Sweep on Tuesday, September 23 as part of the Ocean Conservancy's International Coastal Cleanup (ICC). The cleanup is part of the Just Add Water program that highlights water resources and what students can do to make a difference in water quality. 2008 is the 10th anniversary of the program which has reached over 5,000 Milwaukee teachers and students in the last 10 years.

This year the Ocean Conservancy from Washington D.C and Milwaukee Public Television will be filming the beach cleanup while representatives from Milwaukee County and Milwaukee County Parks show the students the new Bradford Beach rain gardens and how the gardens protect the beaches and Lake Michigan.  The Just Add Water project and the Bradford Beach House rain garden are sponsored by the Wisconsin Department of Administration's Wisconsin Coastal Management Program.

"We hope to create future stewards of our water resources - more knowledge will lead to better decisions," remarked Michael Friis, Wisconsin Coastal Management Program's Resource Policy Team Leader. "This is also a great way to celebrate Coastal Awareness Month in Wisconsin, which has been made a proclamation by Governor Doyle."

The ICC has taken place annually since 1986, and last year alone over 378,000 people around the world removed 6 million pounds of trash from more than 17,000 miles of shoreline.  The overall objective, both locally and internationally, is to engage people to remove trash from the world's watersheds and waterways, to identify the sources of debris, and to change the behaviors that cause pollution.  Milwaukee schools participating in the project include Fratney Street School, Maryland Avenue Montessori School, Wisconsin Conservancy of Lifelong Learning, Trowbridge and St. Rafael School and Whitefish Bay Middle School.

"Protecting our water resources is critical for building healthy, thriving communities and we are pleased to organize an effort that not only keeps Milwaukee's waterways clean, but also instills an appreciation for our natural resources.  The WaterPartners are proud to help educate the next generation of environmentally-responsible citizens," said Kae DonLevy, Wisconsin Beach Sweep Coordinator.

The WaterPartners coordinate the event each year, which is an informal consortium of local environmental and community groups including the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District, Milwaukee Water Works, Urban Ecology Center, the RiverPulse Project, 16th Street Community Health Center, Groundwork Milwaukee, Alliance for the Great Lakes, University of Wisconsin Extension and the Great Lakes WATER Institute.

The Wisconsin Department of Administration's Wisconsin Coastal Management Program was established in 1978 under the Federal Coastal Zone Management Act to preserve, protect, and wisely use the resource of the Lake Michigan and Lake Superior coastline for this and future generations.

####