GLIN==> GL Town Hall: Toronto Environmental Alliance's Katrina Miller + Phantom Voices essay

Click to view this email in a browser

header_01.jpg

This Week in Your Great Lakes Town Hall!

Guest Writer: Katrina Miller of the Toronto Environmental Alliance

Featured Issue: Phantom Voices
by Brenna Wanous

 New on the Community
Bulletin Board
  • Great Lakes Compact loophole allows bottled water
  • Grassroots stops BP Hammond asphalt facility
  • Great Lakes Panel in Detroit, August 21
  • Great Lakes Photo Contest Deadline Approaching
  • Congressman Stupak Questions Compact

Opinion Poll in the
Town Hall!!

If you were in charge of choosing one cultural project focused on the Great Lakes that would raise the national profile of the region, which initiative would you set as your top priority?

  • Lighthouse Restoration (so far... 20%)
  • Shipwreck Exploration (26%)
  • Great Lakes cultural festivals (33%)
  • Other (20%) (please specify in the Comments section!)

Support the Town Hall!

 Click here to make a secure donation through GroundSpring to support the Great Lakes Town Hall!

Activities in the Town Hall
  • Featured Issue
  • Guest Writer
  • Opinion Polls
  • Community Bulletin Board
  • Make a donation

Dear Great Lakes Neighbor,

Each week we invite grassroots activists, artists, officials, physicians, parents, young people and others to offer insightful commentary on their Great Lakes experiences and views. Of course, we also invite you to comment on their thoughts!

This week, the Town Hall is pleased to welcome Katrina Miller of the Toronto Environmental Alliance, a non-profit that works to promote a greener Toronto and encourage local residents' engagement in local issues.  Come visit the Great Lakes Town Hall to read and respond to Katrina's stories and perspectives about the Great Lakes every day this week - only in the Great Lakes Town Hall!

katrinamiller86.jpgGuest Writers this week-- Katrina Miller

Katrina Miller is Campaigns Director at the Toronto Environmental Alliance (TEA), a non-profit advocacy group that works for a better environment for all Torontonians. TEA was at the forefront of Toronto's decisions to ban cosmetic pesticides, pick up kitchen compost at the curb, and expand its Light Rail rapid transit system by 120 kilometres. Now TEA is fighting for the city to adopt a local food procurement policy and pass a new by-law that gives the public the right to know what toxic chemicals are use and released in their communities.

Featured Issue this week - Phantom Voices

In addition to guest speakers, the Great Lakes Town Hall focuses on a new featured Great Lakes issue each week, provided by co-moderators Dave Dempsey, Gary Wilson, and Brenna Wanous. This week, Brenna comments on the lack of incorporation of minority voices and needs in Great Lakes discussions and policies.  She charges all of us to consider the environmental justice of this tendency when she writes,

"Can we call any achievements or legislation passages or movement forward a success when it's only according to the lives of the educated, middle-aged Caucasians of America?"

Read Brenna's Featured Issue, and put in your two cents!

Bringing you a better Great Lakes Town Hall!

We listened to all of the wonderful feedback from our 2007 survey and have taken your advice. We will be launching your new Town Hall this December. You can expect easier navigation, new features, all past postings and much, much more!

We are looking for sponsors to support the building of the new Town Hall. Here is a great opportunity for businesses to sponsor a good cause and see their logo on the front page of the Town Hall. Are you interested? Do you know someone who might be interested? If so, please contact Brenna Wanous at bwanous@biodiverse.org or 773-496-4020.

Don't miss this great opportunity to read and comment on our featured issue - Phantom Voices - and the stories and perspectives of Katrina Miller in the Great Lakes Town Hall all this week!

Guest speakers contribute content on a Great Lakes topic of their choice for five days. While there are basic rules of conduct, guest speakers are unedited and diverse views are welcome. If you are interested in serving as a guest speaker, please reply to this email. We encourage individuals of all ages, occupations, and opinions to participate in the conversation.

Your Great Lakes Neighbor,

brenna sig.jpg

Brenna Wanous
Great Lakes Town Hall Manager

Biodiversity Project's Great Lakes Town Hall

Click here to forward this email to a friend

Great Lakes Town Hall
Biodiversity Project
4507 N. Ravenswood Ave.
Suite 106