GLIN==> GL Town Hall: environmentalist and humanitarian Katherine Bryant + "Island Eyes" essay

Click to view this email in a browser

header_01.jpg

This Week in Your Great Lakes Town Hall!

Guest Writer: Katherine Bryant, environmentalist and humanitarian volunteer and graduate student

Featured Issue: "Island Eyes" by Brenna Wanous

 New on the Community

Bulletin Board

  • Flow - For Love of Water
  • Legacy Act Renewed, Barely
  • Legislative Update
  • Environmental Groups on the Compact
  • Compact Approved - Check the Toledo Blade

 Post an announcement or question on the Community Bulletin Board!

Support the Town Hall!

 Click here to make a secure donation through GroundSpring to support the Great Lakes Town Hall!

Activities in the Town Hall

  • Featured Issue
  • Guest Writer
  • Opinion Polls
  • Community Bulletin Board
  • Make a donation

Get Involved in your Town Hall today!

Dear Great Lakes Neighbor,

Each week we invite grassroots activists, artists, officials, physicians, parents, young people and others to offer insightful commentary on their Great Lakes experiences and views. Of course, we also invite you to comment on their thoughts!

This week, the Town Hall is pleased to welcome Katherine Bryant, a graduate student at American University who has spent the past few years traveling and studying global environmental issues.  Come visit the Great Lakes Town Hall to read and respond to Katherine Bryant's stories and perspectives about the Great Lakes every day this week - only in the Great Lakes Town Hall!

katherinebryant160.jpgGuest Writer this week-- Katherine Bryant

Katherine Bryant is currently working on her master's in Natural Resources and Sustainable Development in the School for International Service at American University.

Her subject interests include agriculture and organic gardening, microfinancing, women's empowerment and human trafficking. Katherine is a native of Atlanta, Georgia and spent the last year as a volunteer in Kerala, South India.

Read and Respond to Katherine Bryant's essays in the Town Hall!

Featured Issue this week - "Island Eyes"

In addition to guest speakers, the Great Lakes Town Hall focuses on a new featured Great Lakes issue each week, provided by co-moderators Dave Dempsey, Gary Wilson, and Brenna Wanous. This week, Brenna quotes Judith Strasser's "Island Eyes" poem, and comments on the Great Lakes' ability to help us slow down, notice the little things in life, and put issues into perspective.  She writes,

"But the Great Lakes have a strict “leave-your-issues-at-the-door” policy. One day along those cold-water streams, on the cobbly shores, underneath the humungous pine trees, and a person gets the sense that chaos is not everywhere, innocence and peace still exist.

They have a way of helping us to notice that life is big and complicated, but not impossible to enjoy."

Read Brenna's Featured Issue, and put in your two cents!

Bringing you a better Great Lakes Town Hall!

We listened to all of the wonderful feedback from our 2007 survey and have taken your advice. We will be launching your new Town Hall this December. You can expect easier navigation, new features, all past postings and much, much more!

We are looking for sponsors to support the building of the new Town Hall. Here is a great opportunity for businesses to sponsor a good cause and see their logo on the front page of the Town Hall. Are you interested? Do you know someone who might be interested? If so, please contact Brenna Wanous at bwanous@biodiverse.org or 773-496-4020.

Don't miss this great opportunity to read and comment on our featured issue - "Island Eyes" - and the stories and perspectives of Katherine Bryant in the Great Lakes Town Hall all this week!

Guest speakers contribute content on a Great Lakes topic of their choice for five days. While there are basic rules of conduct, guest speakers are unedited and diverse views are welcome. If you are interested in serving as a guest speaker, please reply to this email. We encourage individuals of all ages, occupations, and opinions to participate in the conversation.

Your Great Lakes Neighbor,

brenna sig.jpg

Brenna Wanous
Great Lakes Town Hall Manager

Biodiversity Project's Great Lakes Town Hall

email: bwanous@biodiverse.org

Click here to forward this email to a friend

Great Lakes Town Hall
Biodiversity Project
4507 N. Ravenswood Ave.
Suite 106