GLIN==> GL Town Hall: Poet Judith Strasser, + Beware of the Wrath of Mishipeshu essay

Click to view this email in a browser

header_01.jpg

This Week in Your Great Lakes Town Hall!

Guest Writer: Great Lakes poet, Judith Strasser

Featured Issue: Beware of the Wrath of Mishipeshu by Brenna Wanous

 New on the Community

Bulletin Board

  • Great Lakes Town Hall reaches 2,000 mark!
  • Great Lakes Green Chemistry Survey
  • Oil Sands Will Pollute the Great Lakes
  • Indiana National forest case in U.S. Supreme Court
  • Great Lakes Legislative Update

 Post an announcement or question on the Community Bulletin Board!

Support the Town Hall!

 Click here to make a secure donation through GroundSpring to support the Great Lakes Town Hall!

Activities in the Town Hall

  • Featured Issue
  • Guest Writer
  • Opinion Polls
  • Community Bulletin Board
  • Make a donation

Get Involved in your Town Hall today!

Dear Great Lakes Neighbor,

Each week we invite grassroots activists, artists, officials, physicians, parents, young people and others to offer insightful commentary on their Great Lakes experiences and views. Of course, we also invite you to comment on their thoughts!

This week, the Town Hall is pleased to welcome Judith Strasser, an award-winning poet and Great Lakes resident. Come visit the Great Lakes Town Hall to read and respond to Judith's stories and perspectives about the Great Lakes every day this week - only in the Great Lakes Town Hall!

    JudithStrasser160.jpg
Guest Writer this week-- Judith Strasser

In 1998, Judith Strasser spent three weeks as Artist in Residence on Sand Island, one of the Apostle Islands off the south shore of Lake Superior. The poems she wrote during that residency formed her first published collection, Sand Island Succession. Judith is also the author of three other books: two memoirs, Facing Fear: Meditations on Cancer and Politics, Courage and Hope and Black Eye: Escaping a Marriage, Writing a Life, and another poetry collection, The Reason/Unreason Project, which won the Lewis-Clark Press Expedition Award. Judith also writes a weekly blog, In Lieu of Speech (www.inlieuofspeech.blogspot.com).

Judith has lived within 150 miles of a Great Lake most of her life. She grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, relatively close to Lake Erie, and has lived in Madison, Wisconsin, ninety miles from Lake Michigan, since 1976. Her work is included in the anthology Fresh Water: Women Writing on the Great Lakes.

Read and Respond to Judith Strasser's essays in the Town Hall!

Featured Issue this week - Beware of the Wrath of Mishipeshu

In addition to guest speakers, the Great Lakes Town Hall focuses on a new featured Great Lakes issue each week, provided by co-moderators Dave Dempsey, Gary Wilson, and Brenna Wanous. This week, Brenna applies the lessons found in the legend of Mishipeshu to our lives in the form of environmental stewardship and ecological sustainability.  She writes,

"Too often we take without thinking, take without gratitude or take without respect. This teaches us that it is essential to understand that there will be ramifications for exploiting the earth, whether it comes in the form of Mishipeshu’s wrath, global warming, fishery collapses, erosion and sedimentation, pollution or depletion of our groundwater."

Read the rest of Brenna's Featured Issue, and put in your two cents!

Bringing you a better Great Lakes Town Hall!

We listened to all of the wonderful feedback from our 2007 survey and have taken your advice. We will be launching your new Town Hall this December. You can expect easier navigation, new features, all past postings and much, much more!

We are looking for sponsors to support the building of the new Town Hall. Here is a great opportunity for businesses to sponsor a good cause and see their logo on the front page of the Town Hall. Are you interested? Do you know someone who might be interested? If so, please contact Brenna Wanous at bwanous@biodiverse.org or 773-496-4020.

Don't miss this great opportunity to read and comment on our featured issue - Beware of the Wrath of Mishipeshu - and the stories and perspectives of Judith Strasser in the Great Lakes Town Hall all this week!

Guest speakers contribute content on a Great Lakes topic of their choice for five days. While there are basic rules of conduct, guest speakers are unedited and diverse views are welcome. If you are interested in serving as a guest speaker, please reply to this email. We encourage individuals of all ages, occupations, and opinions to participate in the conversation.

Your Great Lakes Neighbor,

brenna sig.jpg

Brenna Wanous
Great Lakes Town Hall Manager

Biodiversity Project's Great Lakes Town Hall

Click here to forward this email to a friend

Great Lakes Town Hall
Biodiversity Project
4507 N. Ravenswood Ave.
Suite 106