GLIN==> GL Town Hall: Jessica Smith (Biodiversity Project) & To Mine or Not to Mine essay

Click to view this email in a browser

header_01.jpg

This Week in Your Great Lakes Town Hall!

Guest Writer: Biodiversity Project's Jessica Smith

Featured Issue: To Mine or Not to Mine by Dave Dempsey

 New on the Community
Bulletin Board

  • Tar Sands Development Threatens 160M Birds
  • Wind turbines in migratory flyway in Indiana
  • Great Lakes Town Hall reaches 2,000 mark!
  • Great Lakes Green Chemistry Survey
  • Oil Sands Will Pollute the Great Lakes

Vote in the New Poll!

What is your favorite winter activity in the Great Lakes?
  • Ice fishing
  • Skiing
  • Snowshoeing
  • Watching winter wildlife
  • Sitting inside watching the snow
  • Other (please comment!)

Support the Town Hall!

 Click here to make a secure donation through GroundSpring to support the Great Lakes Town Hall!

Activities in the Town Hall
  • Featured Issue
  • Guest Writer
  • Opinion Polls
  • Community Bulletin Board
  • Make a donation

Dear Great Lakes Neighbor,

Each week we invite grassroots activists, artists, officials, physicians, parents, young people and others to offer insightful commentary on their Great Lakes experiences and views. Of course, we also invite you to comment on their thoughts!

This week, the Town Hall is pleased to welcome Jessica Smith, Director of Communications at the Biodiversity Project and project coordinator of Great Lakes Forever. Come visit the Great Lakes Town Hall to read and respond to Jessica's stories and perspectives about the Great Lakes every day this week - only in the Great Lakes Town Hall!

JessicaSmith160.jpgGuest Writer this week-- Jessica Smith

Born and raised in Northern Michigan, Jessica Belle Smith is a graduate of the University of Michigan with a B.A. in English and an M.F.A. in Poetry. A professional writer and communications professional in Chicago, Jessica dedicates much of her work to the natural world. She received a Major Hopwood Award in 2000 for a collection of her non-fiction, In the Museum of Our Natural History. In the early 1990s, she wrote the libretto for an alternative opera on climate change and has spent her life dedicated to environmental causes. The Great Lakes, particularly Lake Michigan, continue to inform her artistic and professional work. There is no place she would rather be than hiking the dunes of Benzie County or exploring the bays of her native Old Mission Peninsula.

Featured Issue this week - To Mine or Not to Mine

In addition to guest speakers, the Great Lakes Town Hall focuses on a new featured Great Lakes issue each week, provided by co-moderators Dave Dempsey, Gary Wilson, and Brenna Wanous. This week, Dave explores the proposals for sulfide mining in Minnesota and Michigan by comparing it to historical mining in the region (copper and iron), and by highlighting the dangerous side effects of this particular trade.  He writes,

"In the 1800s, large swaths of the public domain of these same regions were opened up to private parties for timbering and mining, and after most profitable resources were exploited the low-value lands were returned or forfeited back to the public.

Is the region repeating its history of boom and bust -- with the mess left behind for the public to clean up, and pay for?"

Read the rest of Dave's Featured Issue, and put in your two cents!

Bringing you a better Great Lakes Town Hall!

We listened to all of the wonderful feedback from our 2007 survey and have taken your advice. We will be launching your new Town Hall this December. You can expect easier navigation, new features, all past postings and much, much more!

We are looking for sponsors to support the building of the new Town Hall. Here is a great opportunity for businesses to sponsor a good cause and see their logo on the front page of the Town Hall. Are you interested? Do you know someone who might be interested? If so, please contact Brenna Wanous at bwanous@biodiverse.org or 773-496-4020.

Don't miss this great opportunity to read and comment on our featured issue - To Mine or Not to Mine - and the stories and perspectives of Jessica Smith in the Great Lakes Town Hall all this week!

Guest speakers contribute content on a Great Lakes topic of their choice for five days. While there are basic rules of conduct, guest speakers are unedited and diverse views are welcome. If you are interested in serving as a guest speaker, please reply to this email. We encourage individuals of all ages, occupations, and opinions to participate in the conversation.

Your Great Lakes Neighbor,

brenna sig.jpg

Brenna Wanous
Great Lakes Town Hall Manager

Biodiversity Project's Great Lakes Town Hall

Click here to forward this email to a friend

Great Lakes Town Hall
Biodiversity Project
4507 N. Ravenswood Ave.
Suite 106