GLIN==> GL Town Hall: David Poulson of MSU & "Toronto is heading 'Back to the Tap' " essay

Click to view this email in a browser

header_01.jpg

This Week in Your Great Lakes Town Hall!

Guest Writer: David Poulson

(Knight Center for Environmental Journalism at Michigan State University)

Featured Issue: Toronto is heading "Back to the Tap" by Brenna Wanous

 New on the Community

Bulletin Board

  • Toronto Stood Up to Bottled Water Industry
  • Nuclear Power Will Not Stop Global Warming
  • Tar Sands Development Threatens 160M Birds
  • Wind turbines in migratory flyway in Indiana
  • Great Lakes Town Hall reaches 2,000 mark!

 Post an announcement or question on the Community Bulletin Board!

Vote in the Poll!

What is your favorite winter activity in the Great Lakes

  • Ice fishing (33% so far)
  • Skiing (33%)
  • Snowshoeing
  • Watching winter wildlife (33%)
  • Sitting inside watching the snow
  • Other (please comment!)

Click here to cast your vote.

Support the Town Hall!

 Click here to make a secure donation through GroundSpring to support the Great Lakes Town Hall!

Activities in the Town Hall

  • Featured Issue
  • Guest Writer
  • Opinion Polls
  • Community Bulletin Board
  • Make a donation

Get Involved in your Town Hall today!

Dear Great Lakes Neighbor,

Each week we invite grassroots activists, artists, officials, physicians, parents, young people and others to offer insightful commentary on their Great Lakes experiences and views. Of course, we also invite you to comment on their thoughts!

This week, the Town Hall is pleased to welcome David Poulson, Associate Director of the Knight Center for Environmental Journalism at Michigan State University. Come visit the Great Lakes Town Hall to read and respond to David's stories and perspectives about the Great Lakes every day this week - only in the Great Lakes Town Hall!

DavePoulson160.jpgGuest Writer this week-- David Poulson

David Poulson is the associate director of the Knight Center for Environmental Journalism at Michigan State University. He teaches environmental, investigative and computer-assisted reporting to graduate and undergraduate students. He also organizes and teaches professional workshops that help reporters better cover the environment. Those efforts include the center’s Great Lakes Environmental Journalism Training Institute for journalists working in the region’s states and provinces and a boot camp for environmental reporters nationwide. In August he led a dozen reporters on a trip to Alaska to study climate change.

At MSU he also researches and experiments with alternative media forms including a Great Lakes citizen journalism effort that received national recognition for innovations in journalism. He has been at MSU for six years after a 21-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor, mostly covering the environment. He enjoys running, bicycling, teaching, camping, reading, writing, listening to jazz and playing it rather badly on the piano.

Read and Respond to David's essays in the Town Hall!

Featured Issue this week - Toronto is heading "Back to the Tap"

In addition to guest speakers, the Great Lakes Town Hall focuses on a new featured Great Lakes issue each week, provided by co-moderators Dave Dempsey, Gary Wilson, and Brenna Wanous. This week, Brenna applauds Toronto's ban of bottled water sales and distribution throughout the city as a significant step toward environmental and social sustainability.  She writes,

"This is a terrific example of how grassroots and local government can work from the bottom up to make a significant impact on the way things are socially viewed and legislatively allowed. It speaks to the value of meeting top-down legislation like the Great Lakes Compact half way, and of accomplishing goals that are important to the public."

Read the rest of Brenna's Featured Issue, and put in your two cents!

Bringing you a better Great Lakes Town Hall!

We listened to all of the wonderful feedback from our 2007 survey and have taken your advice. We will be launching your new Town Hall this December. You can expect easier navigation, new features, all past postings and much, much more!

We are looking for sponsors to support the building of the new Town Hall. Here is a great opportunity for businesses to sponsor a good cause and see their logo on the front page of the Town Hall. Are you interested? Do you know someone who might be interested? If so, please contact Brenna Wanous at bwanous@biodiverse.org or 773-496-4020.

Don't miss this great opportunity to read and comment on our featured issue - Toronto is heading "Back to the Tap" - and the stories and perspectives of David Poulson in the Great Lakes Town Hall all this week!

Guest speakers contribute content on a Great Lakes topic of their choice for five days. While there are basic rules of conduct, guest speakers are unedited and diverse views are welcome. If you are interested in serving as a guest speaker, please reply to this email. We encourage individuals of all ages, occupations, and opinions to participate in the conversation.

Your Great Lakes Neighbor,

brenna sig.jpg

Brenna Wanous
Great Lakes Town Hall Manager

Biodiversity Project's Great Lakes Town Hall

Click here to forward this email to a friend

Great Lakes Town Hall
Biodiversity Project
4507 N. Ravenswood Ave.
Suite 106