GLIN==> GL Town Hall: Environmental Educator Mike Link, + Canadian Leads Right to Water Fight essay

Click to view this email in a browser

header_01.jpg

This Week in Your Great Lakes Town Hall!

Guest Writer: Mike Link, Environmental Educator

Featured Issue: Canadian Leads Right to Water Fight by Gary Wilson

 New on the Community
Bulletin Board

  • From Environmentalist Scott Silver
  • Toronto Stood Up to Bottled Water Industry
  • Nuclear Power Will Not Stop Global Warming
  • Tar Sands Development Threatens 160M Birds
  • Wind turbines in migratory flyway in Indiana

Vote in the Poll!

What is your favorite winter activity in the Great Lakes?
  • Ice fishing (13% so far)
  • Skiing (40%)
  • Snowshoeing (13%)
  • Watching winter wildlife (20%)
  • Sitting inside watching the snow
  • Other (13%)

Support the Town Hall!

 Click here to make a secure donation through GroundSpring to support the Great Lakes Town Hall!

Activities in the Town Hall
  • Featured Issue
  • Guest Writer
  • Opinion Polls
  • Community Bulletin Board
  • Make a donation

Dear Great Lakes Neighbor,

Each week we invite grassroots activists, artists, officials, physicians, parents, young people and others to offer insightful commentary on their Great Lakes experiences and views. Of course, we also invite you to comment on their thoughts!

This week, the Town Hall is pleased to welcome Mike Link, lifelong Environmental Educator and current director of the Audubon Center in Sandstone, MN.  Come visit the Great Lakes Town Hall to read and respond to Mike's stories and perspectives about the Great Lakes every day this week - only in the Great Lakes Town Hall!

MikeLink160.jpgGuest Writer this week-- Mike Link

Mike Link and his wife, Kate Crowley, live in the woods near Willow River with their lab Sigurd and one old cat. The land is an unusual combination of prairie and boreal forest with loops of trails for skiing and hiking.

Mike has directed the Audubon Center near Sandstone, Minnesota since 1971 and is the process of training his replacements between now and his March 20 retirement. In addition to running the residential learning center he teaches for Northland College and Hamline University.

Traveling extensively with his wife and family, Mike has enjoyed a love of nature, a passion for wine, new cultures, new landscapes, birds, hiking, paddling, and other outdoor pursuits. He and Kate have published 21 books with the newest releases being the beginning of a series for grandparents- Grandparents Minnesota Style and Grandparents Wisconsin Style and similar volumes for Illinois, Michigan, and Colorado that combines his love of his grandchildren and his commitment to education.

Environmental education has been Mike's life through teaching, guiding the Audubon Center, speeches, writing, and lobbying. Nature has given him his inspiration and he sees the commitment to the environment to be much more than just enjoying it.

The next adventure for Mike and Kate is a hike around Lake Superior in 2010 because the both believe in the need to protect both the great lakes and freshwater.

Featured Issue this week - Canadian Leads Right to Water Fight

In addition to guest speakers, the Great Lakes Town Hall focuses on a new featured Great Lakes issue each week, provided by co-moderators Dave Dempsey, Gary Wilson, and Brenna Wanous. This week, Gary highlights the recent appointment of Maude Barlow as the Senior Advisor on Water Issues to the President of the United Nations, and what that means for water issues in the Great Lakes and world-wide.  Gary writes,

"Barlow comes from this region, the most water rich in the world. It would be easy for someone from a water deprived area to lead the water as a human right charge. They would have a lot to gain. But Barlow approaches the issue from a position of abundance, which enhances her credibility."

Read the rest of Gary's Featured Issue, and put in your two cents!

Bringing you a better Great Lakes Town Hall!

We listened to all of the wonderful feedback from our 2007 survey and have taken your advice. We will be launching your new Town Hall this December. You can expect easier navigation, new features, all past postings and much, much more!

We are looking for sponsors to support the building of the new Town Hall. Here is a great opportunity for businesses to sponsor a good cause and see their logo on the front page of the Town Hall. Are you interested? Do you know someone who might be interested? If so, please contact Brenna Wanous at bwanous@biodiverse.org or 773-496-4020.

Don't miss this great opportunity to read and comment on our featured issue - "Canadian Leads Right to Water Fight" - and the stories and perspectives of Mike Link in the Great Lakes Town Hall all this week!

Guest speakers contribute content on a Great Lakes topic of their choice for five days. While there are basic rules of conduct, guest speakers are unedited and diverse views are welcome. If you are interested in serving as a guest speaker, please reply to this email. We encourage individuals of all ages, occupations, and opinions to participate in the conversation.

Your Great Lakes Neighbor,

brenna sig.jpg

Brenna Wanous
Great Lakes Town Hall Manager

Biodiversity Project's Great Lakes Town Hall

Click here to forward this email to a friend

Great Lakes Town Hall
Biodiversity Project
4507 N. Ravenswood Ave.
Suite 106