GLIN==> GL Town Hall: Editor's Pick Week for 2008, + Free Water essay

Click to view this email in a browser

header_01.jpg

This Week in Your Great Lakes Town Hall!

Guest Writer: Editor's Pick Week for 2008 guest writer essays

Featured Issue: Free Water by

Dave Dempsey

 New on the Community

Bulletin Board

  • Chesapeake Bay Restoration - A Sobering Report
  • Defining Moments -- Earth and the Great Lakes
  • From Environmentalist Scott Silver
  • Toronto Stood Up to Bottled Water Industry
  • Nuclear Power Will Not Stop Global Warming

 Post an announcement or question on the Community Bulletin Board!

Vote in the Poll!

What is your favorite winter activity in the Great Lakes

  • Ice fishing (14% so far)
  • Skiing (38%)
  • Snowshoeing (9%)
  • Watching winter wildlife (28%)
  • Sitting inside watching the snow
  • Other (9%)

Click here to cast your vote.

Support the Town Hall!

 Click here to make a secure donation through GroundSpring to support the Great Lakes Town Hall!

Activities in the Town Hall

  • Featured Issue
  • Guest Writer
  • Opinion Polls
  • Community Bulletin Board
  • Make a donation

Get Involved in your Town Hall today!

Dear Great Lakes Neighbor,

Each week we invite grassroots activists, artists, officials, physicians, parents, young people and others to offer insightful commentary on their Great Lakes experiences and views. Of course, we also invite you to comment on their thoughts!

This week, the Town Hall moderators are looking back on the essays written by our Guest Writers in 2008, and featuring a few of the most striking and unique pieces.  Come visit the Great Lakes Town Hall to see which essays were chosen during the Editor's Pick Week, and read and respond to these essays every day this week - only in the Great Lakes Town Hall!

moderators122908_b-w.jpgGuest Writer this week-- Editor's Pick Week.

As the year 2008 comes to a close, Co-Moderators (top to bottom in photo) Dave Dempsey, Gary Wilson and Brenna Wanous would like to use this week to highlight a few of this year’s exceptional guest writer essays. All of the essays we feature this week, along with the complete list of guest writers and essays to date, are available in the Town Hall’s guest writer archives (http://www.greatlakestownhall.org/opinion/guestall.php).

The Great Lakes Town Hall is fortunate in that each of the individuals that volunteer their time to the forum are eloquent writers, very insightful and thought-provoking, and bring something new to the conversation. The five essays selected this week in many ways epitomize the spirit and variety of the Town Hall. Thank you to all of our participants; we’re looking forward to another year of discussing and celebrating the Great Lakes!

Read and Respond to these exceptional essays in the Town Hall!

Featured Issue this week - Free Water

In addition to guest speakers, the Great Lakes Town Hall focuses on a new featured Great Lakes issue each week, provided by co-moderators Dave Dempsey, Gary Wilson, and Brenna Wanous. This week, Dave examines with a critical eye the consensus that the water-for-sale industry and some environmental groups have reached.  These groups feel that the government should not charge the industry for the water it removes from aquifers or lakes and streams.  He writes,

"Does giving a public resource away for nothing to those who then profit from it suggest we or our government believe that resource is life-giving?  No; giving it away makes sense only to save lives in a humanitarian emergency, not to fatten some company's bottom line."

Read the rest of Dave's Featured Issue, and put in your two cents!

Bringing you a better Great Lakes Town Hall!

We listened to all of the wonderful feedback from our 2007 survey and have taken your advice. We will be launching your new Town Hall this January. You can expect easier navigation, new features, all past postings and much, much more!

We are looking for sponsors to support the building of the new Town Hall. Here is a great opportunity for businesses to sponsor a good cause and see their logo on the front page of the Town Hall. Are you interested? Do you know someone who might be interested? If so, please contact Brenna Wanous at bwanous@biodiverse.org or 773-496-4020.

Don't miss this great opportunity to read and comment on our featured issue - "Free Water" - and the stories and perspectives of the guest writers selected during the Editor's Pick Week in the Great Lakes Town Hall all this week!

Guest speakers contribute content on a Great Lakes topic of their choice for five days. While there are basic rules of conduct, guest speakers are unedited and diverse views are welcome. If you are interested in serving as a guest speaker, please reply to this email. We encourage individuals of all ages, occupations, and opinions to participate in the conversation.

Your Great Lakes Neighbor,

brenna sig.jpg

Brenna Wanous
Great Lakes Town Hall Manager

Biodiversity Project's Great Lakes Town Hall

Click here to forward this email to a friend

Great Lakes Town Hall
Biodiversity Project
4507 N. Ravenswood Ave.
Suite 106