GLIN==> Fisheries biologist Jim Diana named new Michigan Sea Grant director

Title: Fisheries biologist Jim Diana named new Michigan Sea Grant director
U-M fisheries biologist Jim Diana named new Michigan Sea Grant director

Ann Arbor, Mich. — University of Michigan fisheries biologist Jim Diana has been named the new director of the Michigan Sea Grant College Program, a joint program of U-M and Michigan State University.

Diana replaces U-M aquatic ecologist Donald Scavia as Michigan Sea Grant director. Earlier this year, Scavia was named director of U-M’s Graham Environmental Sustainability Institute.

“It is my privilege to be asked to lead a program like Michigan Sea Grant, which has a goal of developing scientific knowledge and applying it to improve the livelihood of local people and the quality of their environment,” said Diana. “This convergence of science for people has been a focus of my teaching and research for many years. As director, I will continue the focus on integration of many disciplines to solve complex problems, and also hope to apply my own interests in fisheries and especially aquaculture toward future economic growth in Michigan.”

Read full story: http://www.miseagrant.umich.edu/news/2009/06-jim-diana-new-director.html

Elizabeth LaPorte
Michigan Sea Grant | www.miseagrant.umich.edu
Director of Communication and Education Services
Phone: (734) 647-0767 | Email:
elzblap@umich.edu