RE: Composting and disposal of dead chickens

Considering that these particular chickens are in South Australia there
is another potential way of using the chickens. A fish farm using
sharks. There is a very large market in oriental countries and western
North America (China, Taiwan, California, others?) for dried shark fins
for shark fin soup. Now, the exact species is usually not a concern, and
sharks will eat just about anything, so there is a potential opportunity
here. We farm salmon in the northern hemisphere, perhaps sharks could be
substituted in the southern hemisphere. Of course, salmon won't devour
you if you call into the cage, but proper worker safety procedures could
be developed. Just thinking.

Miles Constable
Senior Toxic Substances Consultant
Environment Canada - Edmonton