P2 in Water Permits

Techies:

Eric Voogt and Bob Kerr were looking for ways that pollution
prevention is being incorporated into air and water permitting and
inspection programs.

In Michigan, we recently conducted training for over 500 regulatory
staff on how to integrate pollution prevention into their day-to-day
job responsibilities.  As a result of the training, our Surface Water
Quality Division is in the process of amending the National Pollutant
Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit applications to encourage
p2.  The applications will contain the following "advertisement" for
p2:

"Preventing Pollution is the Best Solution
The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) encourages you
to consider pollution prevention alternatives.  In some cases
pollution prevention may allow you to avoid the need to discharge
pollutants which would otherwise require permit limitations--or even
avoid the need for permits altogether!  Pollution prevention can:
*Save Money
*Reduce Waste
*Aid Permit Compliance
*Protect our Environment
*Improve Corporate Image
*Reduce Liability
The DEQ is helping Michigan's industries save money, reduce waste and
protect our environment through pollution prevention.  DEQ staff can
provide pollution prevention assistance through telephone
consultations, technical workshops and seminars, and informational
publications.  They can also put you directly in touch with local
support networks and national pollution prevention resources.  For
more information, contact the Michigan Department of Environmental
Quality, Environmental Assistance Division, at 1-800-662-9278 or visit
our homepage at http://www.deq.state.mi.us"

Surface Water Quality Division is also planning to include similar
"advertisements" for p2 within the permits.  I think it's great that
the regulatory staff within the division proposed and implementated
this change!

Carrie Monosmith
Environmental Quality Analyst

Michigan Dept of Environmental Quality	email:
monosmic@deq.state.mi.us
Environmental Assistance Division	phone: 517-373-0604
Town Center				fax:   517-373-3675

PO Box 30457
333 S. Capital Avenue
Lansing, MI  48909-7957