Re: P2 in the pulp and paper industry

Wendy --

At the Federal level, the US Dept of Energy's Office of Industrial Technologies
(the same people who bring you NICE3) has focused on the Pulp/Paper/Forest
Products industries as one of their "Industries of the Future" and has done a
lot of work in developing industry buy-in for Clean production/efficiency
related research and technology development.  You can get general background on
the program via the OIT web site:

http://www.oit.doe.gov/IOF/forest/

You should also consider giving Gary Josephson of Pacific Northwest National
Laboratory a call about the program at 509-376-4325; he is on the industry
team's Environmental Task force and is well plugged-in to what they've been
doing.

Though this is perhaps more long-term R&D oriented than you were asking about,
it would probably be worth factoring into your efforts.

Hope this helps,

Scott Butner

Scott Butner (butner@battelle.org)
Battelle Seattle Research Center
4000 NE 41st Street
Seattle, WA  98105
206-528-3290 voice/206-528-3552 fax
http://www.seattle.battelle.org/P2Online/

Michigan DEQ is currently participating in a pollution prevention partnership
with the pulp and paper industry in our state.  We kicked this off last April
(see http://www.deq.state.mi.us/ead/p2sect/p5.html) and are currently in the
process of establishing goals.  I know the state of Wisconsin is involved in a
similar effort.  I am interested in whether any other states have a P2
initiative focused on this industry.  In particular, I am trying to set up a
resource network for the pulp and paper industry, including websites focusing on
pollution prevention (waste reduction,assessment, cost accounting, etc.).  I'ld
appreciate both information on state programs/partnerships and general info.
websites.  Thanks.

Wendy

Wendy Fitzner                   Phone:  517 373 8798
Pollution Prevention Section            fax:    517-339-4729
Environmental Assistance Division       email:  fitznerw@deq.state.mi.us
Department of Environmental Quality      USPS:  333 S. Capital
State of Michigan                   P.O. Box 30457
                            Lansing, MI 48909