Electric Utility P2 question

Hi again,

Got a call from our electric utility.  They are having problems with the
solvent they are using to flush out rotary meters.  They currently use a
mixture of mineral spirits and petroluem naptha.  THis is causing headaches in
the workers and they desperately want to switch.  Here's the specifics:

The rotary meters consist of aluminum blades.  the meter is surrounded on each
end by bearings (complete with grease, etc).  After using the solvent to flush
out the meter, they use an air gun to finish the job.

At this point, they feel they need to stay away from any water-based products
(I am not as conviced of that), and whatever they use needs to be
residue-free.

Any assistance on substitutes would be greatly appreciated.

Andrea K. Farrell
Delaware Pollution Prevention Program
302-739-3822          302-739-6242 fax
afarrell@dnrec.state.de.us