Re: Pallets

Kevin:
The most appropriate reuse alternative for wooden pallets is to reuse
them for shipping the product.  Obviously a key is to get your
suppliers to ship incoming materials to your plant on pallets that
are of appropriate size and suitable quality for reuse.  Remember,
you are the customer, you hold the power.  I know of a yarn mill in
NC that put such a specification in supplier contracts.  All pallets
not suitable for use for shipping the company's product out on were
required to be taken back by the supplier.  This very progressive and
aggressive company, Amital Spinning in Greenville NC,  won our
Governor's award a couple of years back.

Another option is to set up a local pallet exchange where companies
can drop off good quality pallets in exchange for pallets that they can
use for shipping.  Pitt County NC used to provide such a service.  I
don't know if it's still going on.

A key to marketing scrap pallets for recycling is to require
suppliers to ship materials on standard sized pallets (40x48).

Check out our web-site http://owr.ehnr.state.nc.us/ref/00011.htm to
obtain a fact sheet we've developed on pallet management.

> Date:          11 Feb 1997 10:27:47 -0400
> From:          "Kevin Gashlin" <kgashlin@nttc.edu>
> Subject:       Pallets
> To:            "p2tech@great-lakes.net" <p2tech@great-lakes.net>

> I'm looking for reuse alternatives for wooden pallets.  Any successful
> industry or local program referrals would help.  Thanks.
>
> Kevin Gashlin
> National Technology Transfer Center
> 1-800-368-6676

David Williams
NC Division of Pollution Prevention & Environmental Assistance
P.O. Box 29569
Raleigh, NC 27626-9569
Tel:  (919) 715-6527
Fax:  (919) 715-6794