Re: Electric Utility P2 question

Andrea K. Farrell wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Got a call from our electric utility.  They are having problems with the
> solvent they are using to flush out rotary meters.  They currently use a
> mixture of mineral spirits and petroluem naptha.  THis is causing headaches in
> the workers and they desperately want to switch.  Here's the specifics:
>
> The rotary meters consist of aluminum blades.  the meter is surrounded on each
> end by bearings (complete with grease, etc).  After using the solvent to flush
> out the meter, they use an air gun to finish the job.
>
> At this point, they feel they need to stay away from any water-based products
> (I am not as conviced of that), and whatever they use needs to be
> residue-free.
>
> Any assistance on substitutes would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Andrea K. Farrell
> Delaware Pollution Prevention Program
> 302-739-3822          302-739-6242 fax
> afarrell@dnrec.state.de.us

Years ago, I heard that water and natural gas combine to create an
acidic compound.  You may want to ask the utility why they don't want to
use anything water based.  They probably have a good reason.

A temporary solution would be to wear protective gear while performing
the flushing operation.  I'm surprised OSHA doesn't require it already.

My neighbor works for the local gas company.  I'll ask him what they use
to flush meters.

Gerard Forgnone
Plastic Oil Products
Santa Maria, CA