Re: Electric Utility P2 question

Talked to a contact at a local utility.  There standard procedure is simply
to use air for 99% of the cleaning.  In instances where this is not enough
they use a spray mixture of trichloroethane and CO2 called a "lectrosol
cable cleaner".  Might not be the best environmentally, but the only use it
on rare occasions in a spray booth.  You might want the company to take a
look at revamping their air system.

Hope this is helpful

At 08:58 AM 2/21/97 EST, you wrote:
>Hi again,
>
>Got a call from our electric utility.  They are having problems with the
>solvent they are using to flush out rotary meters.  They currently use a
>mixture of mineral spirits and petroluem naptha.  THis is causing headaches in
>the workers and they desperately want to switch.  Here's the specifics:
>
>The rotary meters consist of aluminum blades.  the meter is surrounded on each
>end by bearings (complete with grease, etc).  After using the solvent to flush
>out the meter, they use an air gun to finish the job.
>
>At this point, they feel they need to stay away from any water-based products
>(I am not as conviced of that), and whatever they use needs to be
>residue-free.
>
>Any assistance on substitutes would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Andrea K. Farrell
>Delaware Pollution Prevention Program
>302-739-3822          302-739-6242 fax
>afarrell@dnrec.state.de.us